90 Gallon Take 2

left74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a lot of people, I took a 10 year break, but I've decided to return to the hobby. Hopefully I'm a little wiser and fortunately my budget isn't nearly as tight as it was the first go around. I'm taking my time cleaning up my old 90 gallon and researching equipment. I do plan on going all-in Apex, hard plumb and create a water changing station. I should have my final equipment list in the next two weeks and will update then.

Currently, my son and I are working on the water changing station and doing some preliminary aquascaping (see pics.)

IMG_2433.jpeg IMG_2490.jpeg

OP
OP
L

left74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this happened yesterday. I was drilling a third hole for my overflow. Watched video after video and felt confident I could pull it off. I got about 5 minutes in and my dream "shattered." So the tank build is on hiatus until I get a replacement tank. I started scouring Craigslist, FB Marketplace, looking for a 125 (since it would fit on my current shelf) or another 90. Lucky for me I found another 90 nearby that I am going to pick up in the next day or so. I'm sure this is the first of many setbacks.

Currently I'm working on plumbing for my mixing station and ran into the inevitable leak, that I will need to problem solve. Other than the leak near the pump, that is coming along well. RO/DI hooked up, just need to start mixing salt and so I can start filling up the tank next week. I should have the replacement tank cleaned up and plumbed over the weekend and should start making some real progress.

Crack.jpg Statopm 1.jpg

OP
OP
L

left74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress! I was able to pick up a new (used) 90 gallon tank yesterday, cleaned it up and set it in place this evening. My plumbing and aquascaping were both 95% complete and I was able to finish both tonight. My goal is check for any leaks in the new DT overnight. I'm going to let the last PVC fittings cure tonight and check the plumbing out in the AM. Tomorrow morning, fingers crossed the plumbing is solid and I can also check the repair on the water mixing station. If all goes well, I will be mixing saltwater tomorrow evening and filling the tank Sunday. I'm sure the chances of that happening are 50/50 at best, but here's to optimism. Finally, my APEX mount is nearing completion, just need to bore a few more holes and mount the head unit. I'll finish the APEX set-up after I start adding saltwater.

As far as equipment here is what I have:
- 90 Gallon DT
- Trigger Systems Sapphire 39" Sump
- APEX NG
- (1) Ecotech MP40 Quiet Drive (the other is currently on backorder for another 10 days)
- Neptune COR 15 Pump
- 75 lbs Marco Dry Rock

Still to Buy:
- (2) Kessil A360W
- Tunze Osmolator ATO
- (2) BRS Titanium 300W heater
- Reef Octopus Classic 6" Protein Skimmer

I'm still in a "wait and see" mode on any dosing and reactors I may add.

Any and all thoughts on equipment I am missing or recommendations are welcome!

IMG_2521.jpeg IMG_2522.jpeg IMG_2523.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back