90 gallon with maxspect gyre

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have 90 gallon mixed reef and my pump is not powerful enough because there are dead spots everywhere. I like how with the maxspect there are literally no dead spots. The question is, if I get one maxspect gyre what size pump should I get? another quesion is would I be better off with 2 jebao wp-25s? i currently have 1 wp-25

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably go with the 150.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run a 130 on one end of a 90 gallon tank, or do you need one on both ends?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how you want to configure it. I am running one 150 in a 105 gallon with 0 deadspots. You can configure them using the different modes and paddles. I would recommend going with the bigger size and running it at a reduce rate rather than going with the 130 and running it at higher speeds....plus you will be prepared when you upgrade tanks :)

OP
OP
Connor

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have been saying maxspects dont last that long and that worrys me bacause I know coralvues service isnt the best. Is this true?

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 XF 150 on my tank and really pleased with them. I can't run them full power as they would cause a sandstorm.
I have them only 2 months and can't say much about how long they will last. So far however no issues at all.
Added the IceCap modules for Apex control in the mean time and love it.
I had a couple questions regarding the pumps and contacted their Support twice. I just can say I had a real good experience, They got back to me within an hour and kept following up until all my questions are answered and solved

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have been saying maxspects dont last that long and that worrys me bacause I know coralvues service isnt the best. Is this true?

I have the maxspect gyre and my lights by them. So far, the gyre has had no issues. As far as the lights, I had some issues within weeks if setting up the lights. Coralvue took care of me immediately. The customer service was great.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have 90 gallon mixed reef and my pump is not powerful enough because there are dead spots everywhere. I like how with the maxspect there are literally no dead spots. The question is, if I get one maxspect gyre what size pump should I get? another quesion is would I be better off with 2 jebao wp-25s? i currently have 1 wp-25
The 130 will be more then enought
Thats what I have in my 100g tank and I can't run it above half or it blows my and everywhere

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a XF130 that has been going for 7 mths with no issues. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the 150 and just dial it back. Also gives you extra power as your tank grows and becomes more difficult to move water through it.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a XF130 that has been going for 7 mths with no issues. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the 150 and just dial it back. Also gives you extra power as your tank grows and becomes more difficult to move water through it.
I don't know what size tank you have but the xf130 in a 90 would be way over what would be needed lol now for tanks over 48in. In length I would suggest the fx150 but the amount of water movement in anything under 48in. With the xf130 is insane.

Gr8gorilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 maxspect Gyre XF-250's in my 90 gallon mixed reef tank. I run them on alternating gyre mode at 10% and it's plenty of water movement.

The best part is that at 10% they are virtually silent. Plus i'm ready when I upgrade to a 200 or 250.

I initially bought a single xf-230 but it had to run at 60% minimum to get adequate flow throughout the tank. Running 2 xf250s in Alternating Gyre mode at 10% power is perfect.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 66 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%

Back