Maxspect Gyre flow pump users. Take a look at this.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the maxspect gyre 330s for two and a half years. Very pleased with the controller and the operation. I had to replace them recently and decided to go with the maxspect gyre 330 cloud edition. It took me a couple days to get them set up and programed with a schedule I like. Now that thats done, I started wondering if anyone else had this issue with their pumps. Here is a pic of my old pumps. They were maintained regularly. Disassembled and cleaned every two weeks. They still work fine but I don't feel comfortable leaving them I'm my tank.

20240204_135620.jpg
20240204_135557.jpg

OP
OP
1112-425XL

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, has anyone else had similar issues with cords of any equipment? And is two and a half years the life we should expect from equipment that costs $400?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of 330’s and a pair of 350’s and they are going on 3+ years and 1 year. I have no issues like yours but have seen people that have.

I’ve heard of urchins maybe eating through the insulation when doing their thing on coraline and etc. but I’ve not seen that either.

Do you clean them in vinegar or citric acid? I clean mine in citric acid as I’ve heard that vinegar can be harder on rubber parts.

I would personally be very hesitant to continue use of those unless repaired or replaced. Speaking of repairing, I have no idea if you can but I wonder if plasti-dip would work? It’s that stuff you dip tool handles or whatever in and it dries as a rubber coating.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the wiring is sealed inside where it can not be seen? Just that thin insulation with no stress relief at that section doesn't seem like it would be very dependable at keep water out. Maybe send an inquiry to the manufacturer and ask.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, has anyone else had similar issues with cords of any equipment? And is two and a half years the life we should expect from equipment that costs $400?

I had a similar issue with one of my Maxspect XF280's. I never really pin pointed root cause but applying some epoxy took care of it.

One theory I had was proximity to lighting, angle of cord, and euro brace. One of those three or all combined could be probable cause. Also the amount of time the cable is in the position without change. Just thoughts that occur to me.

I clean using citric acid. Also the Maxspect series I purchased came with additional cages and blades so maintenance was easy. Turn off, lift out of display, swap everything out, then replace. Take the dirty, soak, rinse, and put away. More or less it.

Again never really pin pointed it but I had a couple thoughts on it.

OP
OP
1112-425XL

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of 330’s and a pair of 350’s and they are going on 3+ years and 1 year. I have no issues like yours but have seen people that have.

I’ve heard of urchins maybe eating through the insulation when doing their thing on coraline and etc. but I’ve not seen that either.

Do you clean them in vinegar or citric acid? I clean mine in citric acid as I’ve heard that vinegar can be harder on rubber parts.

I would personally be very hesitant to continue use of those unless repaired or replaced. Speaking of repairing, I have no idea if you can but I wonder if plasti-dip would work? It’s that stuff you dip tool handles or whatever in and it dries as a rubber coating.
I don't plan to use them. I'd be worried about leaching any type of repair chemicals into the DT. I'll keep the controller in case I decide to get another pump.

I soaked monthly in citric acid as and thought I did a good job keeping them clean. I'll have to do a better job on the new ones. Can't replace these every 2 1/2 years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back