90g Comeback build

campindaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of jumping back into the hobby for several years now (after a decade or so break) and finally pulled the trigger on a new 90g build. Lots of lurking, researching, and planning has been going on for the past 8 or 9 months, but I'm fully committed now after placing an order last week for a new 90g rimless 36" Planet Aquariums Mega Matrix tank. The tank will go in my basement office/man-cave area with the sump and equipment located behind the tank wall on the utility side of my basement. Here's the equipment plan so far:

Things already purchased/ordered:
36X24X24 90g rimless Planet Aquarium with external overflow
Tideline 48 sump by Trigger Systems
DIY Built-in stands for tank and sump
BRS 4 Stage Water Saver RO/DI
(2) BRS Titanium 600W Heaters w/Inkbird controller
Klir Di-7 Filter Roller
Reef Octopus Regal 150-INT Skimmer w/Neck Cleaner
Avast Marine Davey Jones Skimmate Locker
(2) AI Prime 16HD

Still being decided:
Powerheads = Leaning toward Maxspect Gyre 350
Return = Leaning toward (2) Reef Octopus VarioS 4's, but looking at Cor-15's if I go with Apex control
Controller = Way undecided between Apex and Hydros
ATO = Somewhat dependent on Controller decision

I'm still a little undecided on the Klir, but got a great deal on an open-box buy....I figured I could start with the socks, play around with the Klir and see how it goes. Was really leaning towards the Trigger Platinum 39, but wanted the additional sump volume of the 48".

More to come....

OP
OP
C

campindaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of the pre-work that has/needs to be done....

The pic with the grey/yellow/green wall is where the DT will end up going. Since this room needs a refresh, I decided to bite the bullet and do a "quick" remodel before the tank gets here. That means new paint, new wainscoting, new floor, and new trim. Trying to bang this out while the tank is being built. It's good to have a deadline on DIY remodels!

Second pics are from the backside of that same wall where I'm planning the sump area. I already removed some built in shelving and old paneling, and threw down some cheap vinyl plank flooring over the concrete. Planning plumbing and elec wall penetrations now that will likely mean some framing changes. I'd like to have the tank sit all the way against the wall with the external overflow box inside the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 35

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Following along :)

OP
OP
C

campindaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #1....Water Station.
So, after about a month I figured I'd update the progress. Much has taken place. First is my water station area. This is in an extremely small area of my basement that we used to call the "paint room" (where all of the old paint cans go). Basically a 3' X 8' space under our back landing. I converted half of it to my water station by first insulating it, then building a quick/easy stand for 1 Brute can for RODI, and a second Brute can on wheels underneath for salt water. I've got a third Brute on wheels that I can use for mixing as well. I Frankensteined my RODI setup by combining a new BRS 4 stage water saver system with components from my old system, and an added Smart Buddie booster pump. It's essentially now an 8 stage 150 gpd water saver system. Getting 0 TDS, very minimal waste, and the Smart Buddie even auto-flushes the membrane!

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
C

campindaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #2.....Family room.
Quick update on the room itself where the DT will go.....Remodel fully complete now with new paint, wainscoting, trim, flooring, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
C

campindaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #3......Stands
I got the area for my sump all built out, new separate electrical circuits run, and a stand to get my sump up off the ground for easier use and some storage underneath. I used PVC foam sheet for the wall board and stand top.

IMG_1106.JPG
Next was the DT stand. I went the DIY route and really overbuilt it with 2X6 and center support that are likely not needed, but can't hurt.
IMG_1095.JPG
Skinned it in PVC shiplap to match the wainscoting, and built the doors from leftover PVC sheet. Vinyl is final! Also cut the wall out between the DT and sump area.
IMG_1110.JPG

OP
OP
C

campindaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on my new Planet Aquarium tank to come in:(. In the meantime, I got my DIY AI Prime light rack done, and am pretty happy with how it came out.
IMG_1111.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG

Nismo2k1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of jumping back into the hobby for several years now (after a decade or so break) and finally pulled the trigger on a new 90g build. Lots of lurking, researching, and planning has been going on for the past 8 or 9 months, but I'm fully committed now after placing an order last week for a new 90g rimless 36" Planet Aquariums Mega Matrix tank. The tank will go in my basement office/man-cave area with the sump and equipment located behind the tank wall on the utility side of my basement. Here's the equipment plan so far:

Things already purchased/ordered:
36X24X24 90g rimless Planet Aquarium with external overflow
Tideline 48 sump by Trigger Systems
DIY Built-in stands for tank and sump
BRS 4 Stage Water Saver RO/DI
(2) BRS Titanium 600W Heaters w/Inkbird controller
Klir Di-7 Filter Roller
Reef Octopus Regal 150-INT Skimmer w/Neck Cleaner
Avast Marine Davey Jones Skimmate Locker
(2) AI Prime 16HD

Still being decided:
Powerheads = Leaning toward Maxspect Gyre 350
Return = Leaning toward (2) Reef Octopus VarioS 4's, but looking at Cor-15's if I go with Apex control
Controller = Way undecided between Apex and Hydros
ATO = Somewhat dependent on Controller decision

I'm still a little undecided on the Klir, but got a great deal on an open-box buy....I figured I could start with the socks, play around with the Klir and see how it goes. Was really leaning towards the Trigger Platinum 39, but wanted the additional sump volume of the 48".

More to come....
Congrats on the new build, man. I wish I would’ve known what I know now when I was putting one together. Live and learn!

Back