90G to a 160G transfer. Sand question!!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter geno94
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

geno94

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2025
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on doing a transfer this morning from a 90 gallon to a 160gallon. I got a good deal on new bimini pink live sand and have 160 lbs of it ready to go into the new tank. Will be using roughly 60-70 lbs of establish rock along with 80 lbs of new dead rock. Question in regards to the sand. Do I rinse or don’t rinse? It is live sand so feel like rinsing it will defeat the purpose of it, however I am using established rock and media so I want to make sure I eliminate or minimize the possible mini cycle.

Thought?
 
You are going to shock everything and go into a cycle regardless, so expect that for sure.

If the sand is new, No I would not rinse it.
 
Upvote 0
For your existing sand...I would use a shop vac once the tank is drained to suck out the existing sand, this by far is the easiest way to remove sand.
Then rinse it in RODI water, pour out the dirty water, rinse and repeat. The bacteria in the sand will not be all that effected unless it drys out.
 
Upvote 0
What type of livestock is moving over and when?

In general:
Many may suggest to rinse new live sand as there's always a risk of contaminants. I've used bagged live sand many times without issue. I'm a bit or a risk taker so I'd just throw it in there. Just know of the risk. Also, with 50% of established live rock, your cycle should be minimal. However, the new rock will take some time to establish so keep an eye on nutrients and whatever the new rock may leach.

Are you using the some of the water from your 90? Before transferring livestock, get parameters as close as possible to the old tank. Specifically temp, salinity, and alk.
 
Upvote 0
What type of livestock is moving over and when?

In general:
Many may suggest to rinse new live sand as there's always a risk of contaminants. I've used bagged live sand many times without issue. I'm a bit or a risk taker so I'd just throw it in there. Just know of the risk. Also, with 50% of established live rock, your cycle should be minimal. However, the new rock will take some time to establish so keep an eye on nutrients and whatever the new rock may leach.

Are you using the some of the water from your 90? Before transferring livestock, get parameters as close as possible to the old tank. Specifically temp, salinity, and alk.
Thank you. I will be using hopefully about 80 gallons of the old water and will mix 120 new. Same salt same Rodi water. I have nothing too wild for coral. BTAs, lots of Zoas, hammers, torches, leather toadspool. , tangs, wrasse, mandarins. Wonder also if I should drip aclimate the fish once I have them caught in buckets.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5342.jpeg
    IMG_5342.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
Thank you. I will be using hopefully about 80 gallons of the old water and will mix 120 new. Same salt same Rodi water. I have nothing too wild for coral. BTAs, lots of Zoas, hammers, torches, leather toadspool. , tangs, wrasse, mandarins. Wonder also if I should drip aclimate the fish once I have them caught in buckets.
I just did this recently almost 90 days ago (it's on my build thread) and just tossed everything from one tank to the other with no acclimation and had zero issues. But all my parameters were super tight. Also, I only used about 30 - 40 gallons from the old tank to my new 180 gallon.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you. I will be using hopefully about 80 gallons of the old water and will mix 120 new. Same salt same Rodi water. I have nothing too wild for coral. BTAs, lots of Zoas, hammers, torches, leather toadspool. , tangs, wrasse, mandarins. Wonder also if I should drip aclimate the fish once I have them caught in buckets.
Nice corner thank, but you're really going to love the extra room of the 160. 6' tank I assume?
 
Upvote 0
Nice corner thank, but you're really going to love the extra room of the 160. 6' tank I assume?
71 inches. Got an unreal deal on a 750xxl Red Sea V3 that I couldn’t pass up on. Just got it in the house. My back loved it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5382.jpeg
    IMG_5382.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
Just did this 65 to 180 also with bagged live sand. IMO rinse it 100% clear. I purposely bought "live" as the little bit higher cost was worth the MUCH easier rinse. Transferred 50 SPS mini colonies without a loss and no major cycle just a little algae. Your biggest issue is adding 80lbs of dry rock to your 60-70lb live, that will cause a full cycle. If it were me I would add little by little dry rock over several months. But there's a whole thread 100 pages long about rinsing sand and those who rinse it fully for transfers never have had an issue, I cant say the same for not rinsing and that's not a risk I was willing to take for what an hour of my time?

When I did this I used all new water. While I didn't add a ton of new rock I had it curing in buckets for months leading up to it. I transferred all the fish and coral in one big swoop, no acclimating to parameters, just make sure temp and salinity are the same and go.
 
Upvote 0
Just did this 65 to 180 also with bagged live sand. IMO rinse it 100% clear. I purposely bought "live" as the little bit higher cost was worth the MUCH easier rinse. Transferred 50 SPS mini colonies without a loss and no major cycle just a little algae. Your biggest issue is adding 80lbs of dry rock to your 60-70lb live, that will cause a full cycle. If it were me I would add little by little dry rock over several months. But there's a whole thread 100 pages long about rinsing sand and those who rinse it fully for transfers never have had an issue, I cant say the same for not rinsing and that's not a risk I was willing to take for what an hour of my time?

When I did this I used all new water. While I didn't add a ton of new rock I had it curing in buckets for months leading up to it. I transferred all the fish and coral in one big swoop, no acclimating to parameters, just make sure temp and salinity are the same and go.
I appreciate the answer. Yeah I just scaped the old dead rock I had already in the new tank. I understand the concept of cycle but realistically with 80 lbs of new rock it’ll just take time to grow coraline? I mean what kind of cycle am I expecting. Shouldn’t be seeing crazy parameters swings right? Just will take time for that rock to grow some coralline and mature?
 
Upvote 0
I appreciate the answer. Yeah I just scaped the old dead rock I had already in the new tank. I understand the concept of cycle but realistically with 80 lbs of new rock it’ll just take time to grow coraline? I mean what kind of cycle am I expecting. Shouldn’t be seeing crazy parameters swings right? Just will take time for that rock to grow some coralline and mature?

I'm not expert but that's a lot to add at once, I would only do ~20% of your current rock not 120%. All that rock will cycle so spike ammonia and nitrite from the bacteria building up and dieing from the curing processes. The rocks will also quickly use up your alk.
 
Upvote 0
I'm not expert but that's a lot to add at once, I would only do ~20% of your current rock not 120%. All that rock will cycle so spike ammonia and nitrite from the bacteria building up and dieing from the curing processes. The rocks will also quickly use up your alk.
Forgive my ignorance, but how does adding dry rock to established tank water create a new cycle?
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new