90gal fish tank arriving on Saturday, already to go.

coolfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a 90 gal saltwater fish tank with live rock, sand, and a eel. I already have a 55 gal with corals and fish. And its a bare bottom tank (no sand). The tank I'm getting on Saturday already has about a 3inch sand bed. I'm thinking about doing another bare bottom with the 90gal. What do you think? Looking for ideas.

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is personal preference...the eel would probably like sand better, bt you might never know unless he tells you...you need to be careful when removing the sand so that you don't make a mess of the tank...try using a thicker tube and get a good siphon to pull it all out.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal preference, but I've never been a fan of doing it with no sand. I think the sand makes it look more natural honestly. I have seen bare bottoms on the site that do look nice as well.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use probably about an inch of sand on the bottom. Its just enough to be visually pleasing without creating a deep sand bed. I generally put a bunch of Nassarius snails in it as well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back