92 gal corner build - all advice welcome!

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, just about to put together my 92gal. corner tank. Ill take some pics and whatnot to get thing rollin. Please give any advice or thoughts you might have as this is my biggest undertaking so far. I have had other tanks but im just getting back into the hobbie from a long take off, and have been working with a nano for the last few months. (Until nano took a crap few weeks back and I lost everything but a few frags). So any advice on pump placements as to not have any dead spots and aqua scape would be great. Ill take pics of what i have. Rock is a mix of live and some colored and non colored dry. Ill post some as is tank pics also so you can see what the start is looking like.

OP
OP
B

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few pics from yesterday. Will upload some more later. I am going with all my filtration done in the basement. Main goal is to keep tank and tank area cleaner and dry. Also the sump kinda does not fit well in the stand.
20200725_212112.jpg

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filled already? I can't tell. If so I'm too late with my advice.
I have the 54-gal version of that tank and when I asked around about the 92-gal there were all the usual rumors of tank failures due to its size/weight. After purchasing the 54-gal version I could see why. IMHO, the lack of construction quality can easily lead to a stand failure.

Judging by your pictures, the stand for the 54-gal is nearly identical construction. I chose to add several vertical doublers (posts) to my stand, along with removing and re-attaching the plywood panels using SS screws (instead of the rusty and mediocre staples) and high-strength construction adhesive. I also saturated all the exposed wood edges with polyurethane to waterproof from spills and re-painted for a better cosmetic finish.

If you aren't too deep into the build, I suggest giving that stand a serious lookover. That front is one heavy piece of glass!

OP
OP
B

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daddyfish ^^
Thats funny as i was thinking the same thing and have started to support it better already. Now that you have confirmed the same, I am going to get a jack and cut some wood and support it with a jack from under. Of course us the wood from under to support and displace the jacking pressure from just one area. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFO AND ADVICE. TRULY APPRECIATED!

Although this does confirm my wifey was correct in thinking the stand didnt look well built. Ehhhh

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad has had this same tank running since 2005 or so as a freshwater aquarium with no issues or additional bracing
IF the available stand is built with care I can admit it would be adequate. I looked at several stands for the 54-gal and not a single one had all the staples intact, some had plywood supports peeled back, some had jointed rim trusses separated. There was a myriad of structural imperfections.
For me adequate is not good enough. So I modified my stand to withstand significantly additional weight (800 extra pounds) and waterproofed EVERYTHING. It was peace of mind for me and I have never regretted the time invested.

OP
OP
B

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not scaped yet...but she is moving forward. I have had dead live rock in a 20gal tank for a few weeks now and moved most into the display tank. Looking to scape later tonight and figure out the wave pumps and whatnot to eliminate dead spots. Already planning NOT to just prop it up along the back overflow.

OP
OP
B

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals and whatnot in my 20gal quarantine tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back