9410 w/ Outside Air?

  • Thread starter Thread starter spsick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2018
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
2,773
Location
Mpls, MN
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’d like to use one of these but I draw air to my skimmer from outside. Is there a way to do this with the unique air intake on these skimmers?
 
I know lengthening the air hose has a negative impact on the performance Tunze skimmers. I have considered pumping outside air into the ozone intake with an air pump.
 
I know lengthening the air hose has a negative impact on the performance Tunze skimmers. I have considered pumping outside air into the ozone intake with an air pump.

Interesting. Thank you for your insight!
 
Yes, you connect an air pump to the ozone intake port. The air is pumped into the middle chamber where the silencer draws in the air to the pump. The air pump should be large enough to meet the demand of the skimmer.
 
Yes, you connect an air pump to the ozone intake port. The air is pumped into the middle chamber where the silencer draws in the air to the pump. The air pump should be large enough to meet the demand of the skimmer.

Oh an actual air pump. Interesting, I’ll look into it. Wondering if that’s the sort of thing that would need to be dialed exactly or it would mess with the functionality.

Thanks Roger!
 
If you add to much, it just escapes the vent port, not enough, it will make up the difference from inside air drawn in through the vent port. Just keep in mind that losses are quite high from lengths of hose, for example my old set up I needed 25ft of hose, a Coralife luft pump rated at 350 l/h was only doing 150 l/h after the hose. If you can keep the hose run short you can make do with a stronger conventional hobby pump, otherwise you likely need an Alita or some higher end commercial type pump. The same happens if you try to draw in from the pump without an air pump, losses from hose lengths are quite high, and even more so with a needlewheel drawing in the air on its own.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new