9410 w/ Outside Air?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to use one of these but I draw air to my skimmer from outside. Is there a way to do this with the unique air intake on these skimmers?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know lengthening the air hose has a negative impact on the performance Tunze skimmers. I have considered pumping outside air into the ozone intake with an air pump.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know lengthening the air hose has a negative impact on the performance Tunze skimmers. I have considered pumping outside air into the ozone intake with an air pump.

Interesting. Thank you for your insight!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you connect an air pump to the ozone intake port. The air is pumped into the middle chamber where the silencer draws in the air to the pump. The air pump should be large enough to meet the demand of the skimmer.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you connect an air pump to the ozone intake port. The air is pumped into the middle chamber where the silencer draws in the air to the pump. The air pump should be large enough to meet the demand of the skimmer.

Oh an actual air pump. Interesting, I’ll look into it. Wondering if that’s the sort of thing that would need to be dialed exactly or it would mess with the functionality.

Thanks Roger!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add to much, it just escapes the vent port, not enough, it will make up the difference from inside air drawn in through the vent port. Just keep in mind that losses are quite high from lengths of hose, for example my old set up I needed 25ft of hose, a Coralife luft pump rated at 350 l/h was only doing 150 l/h after the hose. If you can keep the hose run short you can make do with a stronger conventional hobby pump, otherwise you likely need an Alita or some higher end commercial type pump. The same happens if you try to draw in from the pump without an air pump, losses from hose lengths are quite high, and even more so with a needlewheel drawing in the air on its own.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back