9430 skimmer cup lid came apart

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko The acrylic (tube part?) on the lid of the skimmer cup came out while cleaning last night. It looks like it popped out cleanly. Has this been an issue at all? I figure I can just glue it back in place. Is it ok to use super glue jell (which I have plenty) for this or should I buy some acrylic adhesive? Thanks

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be the 4th report of this I have had. I also use one of these skimmers and overall for the volume sold it does not seem to be common. I don't know what is the cause, I had assumed heat, either hot water cleaning or I know some people clean skimmer cups in the dishwasher, which is generally not a big deal but could seperate the adhesive, we use a two part polyurethane. It is possible the root issue was prep and their were oils that prevented adhesion. I am happy to replace the lid, acrylic glue would be best but super glue will also work.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be the 4th report of this I have had. I also use one of these skimmers and overall for the volume sold it does not seem to be common. I don't know what is the cause, I had assumed heat, either hot water cleaning or I know some people clean skimmer cups in the dishwasher, which is generally not a big deal but could seperate the adhesive, we use a two part polyurethane. It is possible the root issue was prep and their were oils that prevented adhesion. I am happy to replace the lid, acrylic glue would be best but super glue will also work.
Thanks. I'll grab some clear polyurethane adhesive at the home depot. I'll clean it with denatured alcohol before I apply. As long as it holds, no need for replacement.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use acrylic glue ideally, super glue as a second choice assuming it is fresh and higher quality. The polyurethane we use is two part and does not foam up, the usual home depot stuff foams and gets messy.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repaired with acrylic glue which worked good. It seems like Tunze finishes inside and outside with smoothed silicone as I had to scrape it off with razor to remove all residue and it pulled off like silicone. So while now it doesn't look quite as clean as factory finish, it is solid. Thanks for the help.

DDMN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, two of those lids where mine. The 9430 Skimmer works great though. Definitely would recommend Tunze equipment and a huge thanks for the customer service Roger has provided over the years when an issue does arrive. Tunze has been the best company in this hobby I've dealt with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back