95% Water Change on Epic Tank

29galreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in the video it says they have been doing it since 2012 and that tank is fantastic so they are doing something right.
In the wild lots of corals are exposed to the air for hours on end at low tide and it doesnt harm them, they excrete a mucus film which protects them.
Thats some corals, not all that are in the reef hobby (many corals are collected pretty deep that are in the hobby) and I was saying with a good system and nice corals like that why risk the swing when a 50% is probably all that is needed if not less?
I guess I am asking if its the only option due to the fact the owner doesnt want weekly service or if its just something they were testing. The tank looked relatively clean and since its old I would feel like biological filters in the sand/rocks/water would reduce the need for such drastic changes.
Do they also not dose at all?

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats some corals, not all that are in the reef hobby (many corals are collected pretty deep that are in the hobby) and I was saying with a good system and nice corals like that why risk the swing when a 50% is probably all that is needed if not less?
I guess I am asking if its the only option due to the fact the owner doesnt want weekly service or if its just something they were testing. The tank looked relatively clean and since its old I would feel like biological filters in the sand/rocks/water would reduce the need for such drastic changes.
Do they also not dose at all?

If i remember right he does very little dosing.
A better video here in which you see a bit of the sump area (very simple) and more things are explained.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why risk shocking all the corals unless its the only thing possible? Seems like it does more damage than smaller changes would be. Not only are they temperature shocked (im sure clear tubes sitting in the sun arent climate controlled) but they are exposed to air and then a quick jump in nutrient/ mineral levels. Plus it looks like some coral fell down... wouldnt ever do unless no other option

It's just low tide!

Shane1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ask the guy that posted the video some of these questions. He’s already posted in this thread, lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back