Water Change Tips

shezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, was looking for some guidance on water changes. I could be overcomplicating it but should I be dosing my alkalinity and calcium before or after doing the water change and does doing a water change throw off your dosing? My tank is able to maintain 450 calcium and 9.6 alkalinity from dosing 5ml each finally which it wasn't before but now that I've finally found that balance, would doing a water change throw it off balance? Or would I follow the same dosing since the corals are still going to use the same amount. Thank you to whoever answers my questions.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless you’re doing a large water change I don’t think it will affect those parameters too much. I think you should test and see what they’re like after doing one and then continue to dose accordingly

OP
OP
shezzie

shezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you’re doing a large water change I don’t think it will affect those parameters too much. I think you should test and see what they’re like after doing one and then continue to dose accordingly
Gonna do just around a 20% since it's been a little while and I'm dealing with a little bit of an algae bloom, but the salt I'm using has the same calcium, just a higher alkalinity so maybe you're right maybe it won't throw the dosing off.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna do just around a 20% since it's been a little while and I'm dealing with a little bit of an algae bloom, but the salt I'm using has the same calcium, just a higher alkalinity so maybe you're right maybe it won't throw the dosing off.
What's your current nitrate? If it ain't broke....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all, was looking for some guidance on water changes. I could be overcomplicating it but should I be dosing my alkalinity and calcium before or after doing the water change and does doing a water change throw off your dosing? My tank is able to maintain 450 calcium and 9.6 alkalinity from dosing 5ml each finally which it wasn't before but now that I've finally found that balance, would doing a water change throw it off balance? Or would I follow the same dosing since the corals are still going to use the same amount. Thank you to whoever answers my questions.
Allow 8-12 hours after water change for tank to settle and test those levels which will determine if any doses are needed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back