A ball of gooey that keeps coming

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is this, a ball of gooey that keeps coming once or twice a week? Random location, sometimes on the rock, on the sand below rock, on the sand in the open space, near zoas or not. Not necessarily at the dead spots, cause this one is still swaying and in the middle part of the rock.

Is that an effluent, that supposed to be skimmed out but somehow my flow is not strong enough?
Or a percipitation because I dose 2parts too much? I still dose by hand, Ca at 8PM and Alk at 11PM. 5ml in 10G tank, mostly LPS.
Or some kind of bacteria build up?

Please help me ID this phenomenon. Thanks folks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a vermatid worm web. They spit out a web to catch food and then reel it in if it doesnt break from flow. Does it pop up when you feed something or stir up something ?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that "gooey" blob keeps appearing in different spots around the tank it is not a vermatid worm. Looks like I see a wrasse in the background there. I think you are seeing the cocoon that the wrasse sleeps in at night. Sometimes it can get stuck to rocks or corals for a while before getting swept into the overflow, getting eaten, dissolving, etc.

OP
OP
O

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a vermatid worm web. They spit out a web to catch food and then reel it in if it doesnt break from flow. Does it pop up when you feed something or stir up something ?
I have vermetid snails and I'm sure that is not a vermetid web. Every time i see it, i take it out with turkey baster, its consistency is like a gel, clear gel.

Screenshot_20200204-075856_WhatsApp.jpg

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think it is a wrasse cocoon. They bury themselves in the sand and excrete a mucus to make them undesirable to would be predators. in the morning they leave the cocoon and sometimes it stays in the tank for a while.

OP
OP
O

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that "gooey" blob keeps appearing in different spots around the tank it is not a vermatid worm. Looks like I see a wrasse in the background there. I think you are seeing the cocoon that the wrasse sleeps in at night. Sometimes it can get stuck to rocks or corals for a while before getting swept into the overflow, getting eaten, dissolving, etc.
I have a 6line wrasse in there, hmmm a cocoon... well I'm I'm learning new things every day. Thanks

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I saw one, it freaked me out too. But I am also positive that's what your "goo" is :)

OP
OP
O

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For weeks it's been bothering me. I asked around and no one knew. But now my mind is not preoccupied anymore.
Kinda going to therapy
Many thanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have vermetid snails and I'm sure that is not a vermetid web. Every time i see it, i take it out with turkey baster, its consistency is like a gel, clear gel.

Screenshot_20200204-075856_WhatsApp.jpg

Ohhh ya thats not vermatid

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I think its the wrasse :)

Its kinda cool in my opinion

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back