‘Smoke’ coming out of a rock? Never seen this?

whitecloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am helping with a 60 gallon tank. This morning, she sent me a video of something I have not seen in 20 years of reefing. Something that looks like ‘smoke’ coming out of a rock!

The tank is 2 months old…small bioload, some standard cleaning crew…snail and crabs. Tank parameters has been okay except for nitrates are unexplainably high with phosphate low. Dosing a small amount of neophos to maintain phos at 0.03. Parameters are: ph=8, alk=8.3, nitrates=35, phos=0.03 (was zero before dosing).

That rock may be 20 years old…used for 10 years, stored dry for another 10 years. Washed well and dried for weeks before using.

Anyone have any ideas? Seen this before? Could this be where the hight nitrates are coming from? Also a week before, some of the rock broke off and there was ‘red stuff’ that I wrote off as Cyanobacteria. IMG_5769.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6629.mov
    12.5 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
snail breeding ?

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change yesterday and it triggered my turbo snails to spawn. Looked the same but the were on the top of the rock scape. It was pretty neat they were doing it in an alternating pattern.b

OP
OP
W

whitecloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! It surely could be snail spawning. We did some eggs around which is new. We also took a turkey baster and we were able to blow a lot of ‘stuff’ out of it…it very well could have been anything from snail or hermit stirring up things in there with all the broken down rock we blew out of it. I am still concerned that with the amount of breakdown we are seeing in that rock if this could be the source of the nitrate. We are going to monitor and see if perhaps we blew a lot of ‘stuff’ out if it…and if in a few weeks we are still having high nitrates…we might pull that rock and see if we have any improvement.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back