Dry Rock Question

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 25 lagoon that was setup in 2021. I got as far as adding dr Tim’s to start the cycle, test the water a couple days and then life got in the way. No fish or coral was added and not sure the tank completely cycled. Water stayed in the tank probably 60 to 90 days before everything was broken down and moved to the attic. Here we are three years later and ready to start over. My question is, can I use the same rock from before, or do I need to buy new dry rock? If the answer is new rock, what would be the disadvantage of just buying live rock this time over dry rock. Thanks for the help.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 25 lagoon that was setup in 2021. I got as far as adding dr Tim’s to start the cycle, test the water a couple days and then life got in the way. No fish or coral was added and not sure the tank completely cycled. Water stayed in the tank probably 60 to 90 days before everything was broken down and moved to the attic. Here we are three years later and ready to start over. My question is, can I use the same rock from before, or do I need to buy new dry rock? If the answer is new rock, what would be the disadvantage of just buying live rock this time over dry rock. Thanks for the help.
There is never a disadvantage to choosing live rock over dry. In fact it is recommended if it is within your budget.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will work. I guess I am team dry rock. I have 2 tank set up at the moment on is set up with lr from the lfs I know not direct from the ocean but has all sorts of life on it has been in their system for years probably. I dug into the bottom of one of the bins.
The other is all dry rock.
The lr tank has/had bubble algae, aiptasia, tons of bristle worms(not an issue I dont mind them), fan worms hard shelled and a wierd soft shelled one that proliferates like crazy and will grow on anything including zoas almost strangling them, and a few other thing wanted and not.
Dry rock has what I put in and nothing else. No major issues as of yet. No issues with ultra low nutrients. A little cyano but handled with a water change. Only aipstasia was my fault when I transferred corals from the other tank to this one and didnt see them, even though I was looking really hard because of bubble algae.
There are draw backs to both.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done almost exactly the same, but my reason was the rock in my 75 gallon didn't "work" with my aquascaping plans so I transferred some to the new tank and let some dry out. I've since pulled some back out and chiseled it up and put it in my new system and the main difference I've noticed is the color difference, but that only lasts a short while.

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did the same thing you have. I pressure washed my "now dry rock", let it dry in the sun, and put it back in the tank. Started the cycle process. I'll deal with the ugly phase and whatever else may come since using dry rock.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like KP Aquatics rock. The stuff at the fish store usually looks like it got picked up in the parking lot and thrown into a stock tank. I would use your old rock as the foundation to save a little money, then top up with live rock. If money isn't an issue, 100% live rock is the way.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did the same thing you have. I pressure washed my "now dry rock", let it dry in the sun, and put it back in the tank. Started the cycle process. I'll deal with the ugly phase and whatever else may come since using dry rock.
Good luck, I’ll be following along and see how it goes for you.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back