Dry Rock Question

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo pacific sea farms has the answer to your dry rock needs. The live sand activator and wonder mud are the real deal.

Another hidden gem is the gulfliverock nano special. $100 shipped of rock from Tampa. I’ve gotten boxes of softball size rocks and I have gotten football size before. It comes wet but not submerged. I have put it in my display straight from the box and had no issues but some sponge die off. Great stuff.

Don’t fear the live rock. Back when I started the hobby, getting a box of Kaleini from Premium Aquatics was magical. Watching stuff “pop up” back then with your power compacts humming has kept me in the hobby all these years.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo pacific sea farms has the answer to your dry rock needs. The live sand activator and wonder mud are the real deal.

Another hidden gem is the gulfliverock nano special. $100 shipped of rock from Tampa. I’ve gotten boxes of softball size rocks and I have gotten football size before. It comes wet but not submerged. I have put it in my display straight from the box and had no issues but some sponge die off. Great stuff.

Don’t fear the live rock. Back when I started the hobby, getting a box of Kaleini from Premium Aquatics was magical. Watching stuff “pop up” back then with your power compacts humming has kept me in the hobby all these years.
Are they (ipsf) still in business? I emailed them twice but received no responses, attempted to locate a phone number for them but was unsuccessful, and I know that Hawaii had a lot of things going on politically with regard to the fishery ban and whatnot so I just assumed they may have closed shop or temporarily shut down the business until the bans and stuff get lifted.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 25 lagoon that was setup in 2021. I got as far as adding dr Tim’s to start the cycle, test the water a couple days and then life got in the way. No fish or coral was added and not sure the tank completely cycled. Water stayed in the tank probably 60 to 90 days before everything was broken down and moved to the attic. Here we are three years later and ready to start over. My question is, can I use the same rock from before, or do I need to buy new dry rock? If the answer is new rock, what would be the disadvantage of just buying live rock this time over dry rock. Thanks for the help.
Buy this book and learn how to make your own better and cheaper
81OblerMWFL._SY466_.jpg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I should have stated " when done correctly" :rolleyes:. When proper procedure is followed, there is no rock out there better than live rock. Just my opinion, I know. Sorry for not including the prerequisite of prepping live rock for ones tank. :cool:
I don't know nothing. I would not use it. No scientific proof for my opinion

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know nothing. I would not use it. No scientific proof for my opinion
at the end of the day, there is no right or wrong way to start a tank. One can do as they please. There is only individual experiences that lead any one person to feel one way or another.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the end of the day, there is no right or wrong way to start a tank. One can do as they please. There is only individual experiences that lead any one person to feel one way or another.
I tend to follow advice. I did for my present tank and I am super happy. Although new things crop up every day so far good ones

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to follow advice. I did for my present tank and I am super happy. Although new things crop up every day so far good ones
Yes indeed, advice can be a wonderful thing, But it can also be tough when you get vastly differing opinions on how to do something.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed, advice can be a wonderful thing, But it can also be tough when you get vastly differing opinions on how to do something.
Just Like Life. I used to work by traveling to peoples homes to repair their heating cooling equipment. When I saw a project done that I intended to do I always asked how. I treated it all like a smorgasbord

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with all dry rock. I wish I started with a mix of dry and live rock since dry rock is more economical and provides for aquascaping flexibility. Live rock adds biodiversity and is more resistant to the uglies. I added some live rock from KP Aquatics a few months in and those specific pieces exhibited significantly more resistance to growth of the uglies. I added half a dozen bumblebee snails a month ago and they all made their way to the live rock pieces and I can never find them anywhere else.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with all dry rock. I wish I started with a mix of dry and live rock since dry rock is more economical and provides for aquascaping flexibility. Live rock adds biodiversity and is more resistant to the uglies. I added some live rock from KP Aquatics a few months in and those specific pieces exhibited significantly more resistance to growth of the uglies. I added half a dozen bumblebee snails a month ago and they all made their way to the live rock pieces and I can never find them anywhere else.
That is the best way in my opinion. When I set my 90 gallon up I used about 45 lbs. of dry rock for scaping, and the topped it all off, once in the tank with about 30 lbs. of live rock. The best of both worlds. :)

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the best way in my opinion. When I set my 90 gallon up I used about 45 lbs. of dry rock for scaping, and the topped it all off, once in the tank with about 30 lbs. of live rock. The best of both worlds. :)
My next tank I'm
81OblerMWFL._SY466_.jpg
making all my own following a recipe from this book

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my luck lately has been somewhat of a comedy, as I type this my live rock is supposed to be delivered today between 12-4, still no box. I’m worried about the condition of it when it arrives. To add to the streak of luck I’m having today, I was informed that I will be leaving next Wednesday to work out of town until June 1st. Nothing like the stars aligning. I’m trying not to panic but I will be leaving the tank for a month with live rock that will have been added for 1 week. Any suggestions on what the next month should look like. My wife will be home, but she’s not gonna sit around and test fish tank water and I don’t expect her to, she will be taking care of the house and kiddo. She will change a few gallons if I need her to once a week if I need her to though. How bad is this situation and how would you handle it?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my luck lately has been somewhat of a comedy, as I type this my live rock is supposed to be delivered today between 12-4, still no box. I’m worried about the condition of it when it arrives. To add to the streak of luck I’m having today, I was informed that I will be leaving next Wednesday to work out of town until June 1st. Nothing like the stars aligning. I’m trying not to panic but I will be leaving the tank for a month with live rock that will have been added for 1 week. Any suggestions on what the next month should look like. My wife will be home, but she’s not gonna sit around and test fish tank water and I don’t expect her to, she will be taking care of the house and kiddo. She will change a few gallons if I need her to once a week if I need her to though. How bad is this situation and how would you handle it?
Keep the tank topped off and circulating. Let the tank do it's thing and settle in. Adding bacteria doesn't hurt, once algae starts growing add a small CUC.... You can basically do nothing for now. No corals or fish yet, right?

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the tank topped off and circulating. Let the tank do it's thing and settle in. Adding bacteria doesn't hurt, once algae starts growing add a small CUC.... You can basically do nothing for now. No corals or fish yet, right?
I haven’t added anything. I guess my plan now is to add the rock to the tank tonight. Heather and power head. I guess I will add my sand as well, past that I’m not sure. Hopefully there isn’t a ton of die off, rock still isn’t here yet.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I haven’t added anything. I guess my plan now is to add the rock to the tank tonight. Heather and power head. I guess I will add my sand as well, past that I’m not sure. Hopefully there isn’t a ton of die off, rock still isn’t here yet.
Any die-off while you're gone will just kick start the cycle so not really a big deal if you're not going to do anything for the next month and a half. Like I mentioned, have your wife add some snails and maybe hermits when you start getting a little algae and let the tank ride while you're gone. Come back to a tank ready for corals and fish potentially. Makes the patience so much easier when you're not there looking at an empty tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you should be fine with just ato. If you could get her to do a water change or two during the time you are gone it would be bonus points but really it should be fine. Are these rocks coming in submerged or no? If submerged then there should be minimum dieoff/cycling so Id even go an extra step and add a small cleanup crew so algae doesnt grow unabated.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any die-off while you're gone will just kick start the cycle so not really a big deal if you're not going to do anything for the next month and a half. Like I mentioned, have your wife add some snails and maybe hermits when you start getting a little algae and let the tank ride while you're gone. Come back to a tank ready for corals and fish potentially. Makes the patience so much easier when you're not there looking at an empty tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
This eases my mind, thanks so much, I got a kiddo looking forward to some fish.

Yea you should be fine with just ato. If you could get her to do a water change or two during the time you are gone it would be bonus points but really it should be fine. Are these rocks coming in submerged or no? If submerged then there should be minimum dieoff/cycling so Id even go an extra step and add a small cleanup crew so algae doesnt grow unabated.

I’ll have the ATO going and I’ll get her to do a water change a week. They are coming from KP aquatics UPS overnight Air. When I spoke to Phil he said they would be wet. I will know more when they arrive.

Also, should I run any lights while I’m gone?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back