Type of algae and parameters

brichard925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has been cycled for around a month and currently hosts two clownfish. Is this the beginning of the ugly stage(diatoms)? i used marco dry rock and cycled via frits turbo for two weeks before livestock.

i plan on doing 20% water changes per week to keep everything stable but this week my nitrates are only 2 and phospates are 0.01-0.03

Should I skip and try to tune in how often to water change. I also run a skimmer but since the nitrates seem to be decreasing from the usual 5-10 ive seen in the past few weeks maybe i shiuldnt run it as often. Pic below of algae.

IMG_0909.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just normal diatoms. You will experience a variety of ugly phases throughout the first year. Weekly water changes are essential.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I wouldn't change the water change schedule due to diatoms. It is totally normally and most times will resolve itself within a few days.

I would try to always have detectable nitrates, especially in a new tank started with new rock. You will have more issues if it bottoms out (i.e. potential to get Dinos). So I would do whatever you need to do to keep nitrates detectable, which may include turning off your skimmer (or maybe just run it without the cup on).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back