Impossible to rid Hair Algea, S.O.S

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a species that can go sexual, there has been a lot of research and stuff that shows an equal light and dark cycles is the best for cellular growth This does not mean water weight, but the actual consumption of waste products.

If you do have a species that can spawn and harm your tank, then 24/7 cycle is necessary to keep them unhealthy enough to try this - mostly, people have reported it happening a few times.

Lots of people suggest more or less light but the reasons are all over the place. It is a mess. Most are probably just repeating what somebody told them.

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a species that can go sexual, there has been a lot of research and stuff that shows an equal light and dark cycles is the best for cellular growth This does not mean water weight, but the actual consumption of waste products.

If you do have a species that can spawn and harm your tank, then 24/7 cycle is necessary to keep them unhealthy enough to try this - mostly, people have reported it happening a few times.

Lots of people suggest more or less light but the reasons are all over the place. It is a mess. Most are probably just repeating what somebody told them.
I guess I don't even know what type of algea I'm growing. When I clean the matt, a small amount usually ends up in the tank. Could this bee seeding the hair algea in my tank?

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My growth looked same as yours when I was 24h with the slimes as well light it for 12 hours opposite lights you will get better growth and less green and brown slimes blowing out the rock is a must when doing water changes it blows out all the loose detritus and uneaten food I was testing 0 and 0 the algea and coral was using it up.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most algae can grow when parts float away and get attached to other things to start growing there. Algae can also send out spores and sexually reproduce - it all depends on the kind of algae and most people do not know what they have and people just kinda saw spawn as a catch-all. Some type of algae like caluerpa can crash your tank when they sexually spawn - it is awful.

This is why we all talk about why consumers are so important. Yes, algae from a scrubber can send out spores/sexual spawn/gametes into a display.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my must have tools for rock cleaning I scrub first then blow rhe rock out. I do this before lights on that way coral can feed off the debris that is blown out
20240306_103846.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a 6 to 10 pack of toothbrushes at the dollar store too. They get into fine areas, clean frag plugs and discs.

I love the powerhead on the stick! That is some NASA engineering right there... well done.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zip tie rigged powerhead stick is awesome! I’m going to have to copy you

Algae photoperiod is being lowered because the algae is getting burned in some spots from excessive lighting

Once the colony is more established we can work on increasing if needed

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to give you some dark horse advice here:

Bite the bullet and dose vibrant to the directions.

If you have a fuge with chaeto, toss it and be ready to buy some more.

Dose as instructed for 6 weeks.

Don't overdose.

Your GHA problem will disappear.

I use vibrant because it works. I leave the dispute over ingredients and API algaefix stuff to others to fret about.

This is what solved my GHA problem after nothing else worked. It hasn't come back - except in my fuge - and things are great.

The problem with GHA is that it'll be handled as it grows by CUC, but when it becomes a problem - your CUC won't make it go away.

Lastly, while nutrient management and other things are important - they aren't going to dig you out of a GHA infestation hole. You will become disgusted with the tank and give up before you fix it.

It's like trying to treat pancreatic cancer by quitting sodas - yeah it might help but it's probably too late.

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to give you some dark horse advice here:

Bite the bullet and dose vibrant to the directions.

If you have a fuge with chaeto, toss it and be ready to buy some more.

Dose as instructed for 6 weeks.

Don't overdose.

Your GHA problem will disappear.

I use vibrant because it works. I leave the dispute over ingredients and API algaefix stuff to others to fret about.

This is what solved my GHA problem after nothing else worked. It hasn't come back - except in my fuge - and things are great.

The problem with GHA is that it'll be handled as it grows by CUC, but when it becomes a problem - your CUC won't make it go away.

Lastly, while nutrient management and other things are important - they aren't going to dig you out of a GHA infestation hole. You will become disgusted with the tank and give up before you fix it.

It's like trying to treat pancreatic cancer by quitting sodas - yeah it might help but it's probably too late.
I've actually tried Vibrant before...it was ok. Flux Rx worked much better.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually tried Vibrant before...it was ok. Flux Rx worked much better.
My understanding is Flux is only good for some things like bryopsis

I used Vibrant for 6 weeks to wipe out my GHA

It's slow, because it's safe. But sure enough 6 weeks in, all that GHA was gone.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's slow, because it's safe. But sure enough 6 weeks in, all that GHA was gone.
Fluconazole works in 21 days for GHA. Even as a micro-dose.(in my experiences)

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It wiped it out mostly after 2 does. But it has come back, which is why I'm hesitant to do it again

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually used vibrant in the past with no issues. Years ago if you look on the forums there were tons and tons of people praising it.

I don’t care about the company shielding it’s formula or tweaking another companies product. I remember it took a few weeks but it did work and none of my corals / fish / inverts were affected

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back