Caribsea Life Rock Issues

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issues with using the man-made Caribsea Life Rock? I have 3 trees and several arc pieces. Aside from some media balls in my sump, my DT is made entirely of this stuff. I purchased everything used so I assumed it was good to go. I have been dealing with hair algea issues for 2 years now. My LFS says that the problem is with my Caribsea rock, and that it leeches silicates. I'm not aware of this, but they say every tank they service that has Caribsea rock has algea issues. I've nuked it with flux twice now only for it to come back. Am I doomed to replacing most of my aquascape? Is there any way to get rid of this if the rock is constantly leeching? Pics attached. The algea is currently zero'ing out my nutrients and ticking off my coral. I have a decent CUC and they seem to not keep up or even touch the longer stuff.
Nitrates 0
Phosphates .04
Clearwater Algea scrubber running 20 hours
alk 9.85, Ca 429, Mg 1450
Sump is 40g DT 130ish

IMG_3122.jpg IMG_3208.jpg IMG_3199.jpg IMG_3197.jpg IMG_3198.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any hard evidence that your rock is leeching? I use 90% liferock in my display and don't have algae issues. I soaked mine in RO/DI before adding to the tank. Recent ICP test shows 0.2 ppm silicon, which does not seem concerning.

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done an ICP yet. Basically just going off what the maintenance crew of my lfs it telling me, which is why I came on here to see if there are similar issues...It's very perplexing as I've eradicated the hair algea with fluconozole, but it always seems to return despite having ideal numbers when it seemed to be gone.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's hit or miss from what I have read. I started my 120 with all caribsea liferock in early 2020. It was good for a few months but as soon as I turned on the lights, the algea started. I had tangs, snails and 2 urchins and still I was having to scrub my rockwork every week before my water changes. This went on for over a year. I would add coral and they just wouldn't grow very much. I had enough and started adding some live rock. The live rock never grew algea even though the liferock right next to it would be covered. Last year I replaced half the liferock with live ocean rock and things started to stabilize and my coral started growing. Every week before water changes I use a turkey baster to blow off the rock. The live rock usually just has a little sand on it but the liferock always has a cloud of dust coming out from all the holes. I'm planning a upgrade later this year and will be removing the remaining liferock and replacing it with live ocean rock. Even with weekly water changes and a light fish load, my nitrates are always in the 20s and phosphate always over. 15.

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hit or miss from what I have read. I started my 120 with all caribsea liferock in early 2020. It was good for a few months but as soon as I turned on the lights, the algea started. I had tangs, snails and 2 urchins and still I was having to scrub my rockwork every week before my water changes. This went on for over a year. I would add coral and they just wouldn't grow very much. I had enough and started adding some live rock. The live rock never grew algea even though the liferock right next to it would be covered. Last year I replaced half the liferock with live ocean rock and things started to stabilize and my coral started growing. Every week before water changes I use a turkey baster to blow off the rock. The live rock usually just has a little sand on it but the liferock always has a cloud of dust coming out from all the holes. I'm planning a upgrade later this year and will be removing the remaining liferock and replacing it with live ocean rock. Even with weekly water changes and a light fish load, my nitrates are always in the 20s and phosphate always over. 15.
Yeah, this is my exact situation. I don't have a ton of bio media in my sump either, as I don't have a lot of room. I think I'm just going to rescape and get rid of most of the carib sea stuff.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard silicates and that wouldn’t create hair algae more like diatoms if anything.. being completely honest your tank doesn’t look bad, a hand full of turbo snails would clean that right up without any problem! I’d stop using algaecides as your messing with your biome and restarting the clock.

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard silicates and that wouldn’t create hair algae more like diatoms if anything.. being completely honest your tank doesn’t look bad, a hand full of turbo snails would clean that right up without any problem! I’d stop using algaecides as your messing with your biome and restarting the clock.
I have 4-5 turbos, 2 tuxedo, 1 pin cushon, hermit crabs, tangs...I don't know, they don't seem to help much and it keeps growing while my coral starve.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4-5 turbos, 2 tuxedo, 1 pin cushon, hermit crabs, tangs...I don't know, they don't seem to help much and it keeps growing while my coral starve.
Add another dozen turbos and some ceriths in the mix!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen some amazing tanks using it so I don't think it's all bad. I just honestly feel that a few bad batches have gotten out. It was a nightmare for me and I almost quit because of it. I would never use dry rock again. First photo is newly setup and second is after about 6 months.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308_130133_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_130133_Gallery.jpg
    695.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20240308_130312_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_130312_Gallery.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 48

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is it now with alot of the liferock replaced.

Attachments

• 20231231_190330.jpg
    20231231_190330.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 44

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back