Reusing old Caribsea Life Rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jblaine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jblaine

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2020
Messages
205
Reaction score
84
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broke down a aquarium that had Caribsea life rock for the aquascape. The rock had a lot of algae, spirorbid worms, and aptasia on it. My question is, what is the best way to clean the rock so I can make a new aquascape with it and not worry about all that stuff coming back in the tank?
 
Are you restarting your tank, or are you just trying to clean the rock?

If you’re restarting, I would let the rock dry out. You can also bleach it using a 1:10 ratio of bleach to water.

If you take the rock out and kill all the bacteria on it while the tank is running, you will cause a tank crash, so I wouldn’t recommend doing that.
 
Are you restarting your tank, or are you just trying to clean the rock?

If you’re restarting, I would let the rock dry out. You can also bleach it using a 1:10 ratio of bleach to water.

If you take the rock out and kill all the bacteria on it while the tank is running, you will cause a tank crash, so I wouldn’t recommend doing that.
I’m restarting a new tank so I wanted a fresh start. I have move all my fish and coral to other aquariums in the basement that are already cycled or have been running for several years
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new