Fritz Pro Salt but still low Alk, Ca, Mg?

OnePuffMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am doing regular water changes with 60% Fritz Pro and 40% Fritz standard. Prior to that, I had started with standard, found my Alk was low, so did the Pro for 2 months before this mix. Tank has been up about a year with fish, but some softies have been added and looking good.

I just got some fresh Salifert tests, and things were showing still really low, which makes no sense to me, especially with my pH up significantly. The parameters:
Salt: 35 ppt
Ca: 200 ppm
Alk: 5.3 dkh
Mg: no tester yet
pH: 8.15
Nitrate: 25
Phos: 0.03

I'm willing to buy some of the BRS 2-part kit to start dosing, but wanted to see some thoughts before going forward. These seem far enough out that I'm guessing it's not testing error...

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bucket of Fritz blue bucket and the alk was 7.0, Mag was 1140. Stopped using it in my dt, only using it for my qt. I did 2 water changes and said that was enough

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you mixing salts?

I get it's the same brands but different types...but why?

Take this on good authority...

Switch to Reef Crystals and thank me later. There's a reason why most large aquarium displays across the world use it!

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to revisit this thread. FWIW, my lfs fish store said that they notice the same low parameters from the bucket. But the box was coming out to the supposed numbers that fritz advertised.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz sucks.

I'm sorry, but it just does.

I'd love to support them because they're super local to me and if their salt quality ever improves, I will, but for now fritz blue sucks and its parameters are all over the place

And they're not even cheap. I get NYOS Salt now. Works great, and they print parameters for each batch.

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz sucks.

I'm sorry, but it just does.

I'd love to support them because they're super local to me and if their salt quality ever improves, I will, but for now fritz blue sucks and its parameters are all over the place

And they're not even cheap. I get NYOS Salt now. Works great, and they print parameters for each batch.
Totally agree. Got a bucket of Nyos coming in this week.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like Fritz RPM (regular) -- been using it for 1.5+ years and have never seen any crazy parameters from any mix.
*also still seems on the budget end of the spectrum, price-wise, at about $80 for 55 lbs (200 gallon) box these days

OP
OP
OnePuffMan

OnePuffMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update...I got similar results with a few months ago with an API Aquaspin. I did an all red water change and had someone else test and the parameters are in the good range. Was it the test or salt? I'm not sure. I know I bought $100 of dosing stuff and probably don't need $40 of it.

I want to keep Fritz since the LFS in the area have it pre-mixed in case there's an emergency. I'm having second, but we'll see.

OP
OP
OnePuffMan

OnePuffMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I think 200 ppm calcium is more likely a testing issue than a real value.
I think I'm an idiot and was reading the amount used instead of the amount remaining. Looking at the chart and comparing to the shop's testing, the readings would make a lot more sense.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm an idiot and was reading the amount used instead of the amount remaining. Looking at the chart and comparing to the shop's testing, the readings would make a lot more sense.

That is a common problem, especially with Salifert for some reason. Don't feel bad. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back