STUMPED! Low KH/Alkalinity

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank that I am having issues with coral growth in. I was not keeping my parameters stable but starting to get back on track. My alk was reading a 4 KH on Friday. I have slowly raised it to 6 KH so far. I started with a 70% water change on Friday. I don’t know why my Alk is still testing so low. I am using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt that says it’s supposed to have a KH of 12 but a new 5 gallon bucket on Friday was only testing 7 KH. Bad salt or bad test??? I rolled the salt before making the buckets of water for my water change as well. I dosed 3ml of Red Sea Foundation B on Saturday and 3ml on Sunday. My KH is staying between 6/7. Doesn’t seem right with a 70% water change/dosing/ and using high alk salt. Thoughts???

Fish Stock is as follows:
Clown
Cleaner Shrimp
Yasha Goby
Pistol Shrimp
Urchin
5-6 snails

Coral Stock is as follows:
Small frag of Zoas
10 head Paly
Frag of Blastos (have grown the best considering they are LPS)
GSP
Green Kenya Tree (newly added- 2 weeks ago)

IMG_4137.jpeg IMG_4135.jpeg IMG_4127.jpeg IMG_4104.jpeg IMG_4106.jpeg IMG_4107.jpeg

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a different tester to compare? Seems pretty odd that a fresh batch of black bucket would be that low

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That absolutely sounds like a bad test. What are you using to test with? If Hannah, how long have the reagents been open? Had someone with a similar problem here recently and it seemed like it was a hannah tester reagent issue. Before continuing to try to raise your dKh based on those readouts, take some freshly mixed saltwater to your LFS and have them give you a readout. Better safe than sorry.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank that I am having issues with coral growth in. I was not keeping my parameters stable but starting to get back on track. My alk was reading a 4 KH on Friday. I have slowly raised it to 6 KH so far. I started with a 70% water change on Friday. I don’t know why my Alk is still testing so low. I am using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt that says it’s supposed to have a KH of 12 but a new 5 gallon bucket on Friday was only testing 7 KH. Bad salt or bad test??? I rolled the salt before making the buckets of water for my water change as well. I dosed 3ml of Red Sea Foundation B on Saturday and 3ml on Sunday. My KH is staying between 6/7. Doesn’t seem right with a 70% water change/dosing/ and using high alk salt. Thoughts???

Fish Stock is as follows:
Clown
Cleaner Shrimp
Yasha Goby
Pistol Shrimp
Urchin
5-6 snails

Coral Stock is as follows:
Small frag of Zoas
10 head Paly
Frag of Blastos (have grown the best considering they are LPS)
GSP
Green Kenya Tree (newly added- 2 weeks ago)

IMG_4137.jpeg IMG_4135.jpeg IMG_4127.jpeg IMG_4104.jpeg IMG_4106.jpeg IMG_4107.jpeg
Is the Alkalinity test one of the dropper type, with the high and low resolution? Seeing as you appear to be reading roughly half of the expected value.

OP
OP
slav621

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a different tester to compare? Seems pretty odd that a fresh batch of black bucket would be that low
No I haven’t. But would a bad test read so consistently? I know I should probably get another test though. I’m testing with
I have not but I should for sure probably do that. I’m using the Red Sea Test Kit that’s over a year old.

OP
OP
slav621

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That absolutely sounds like a bad test. What are you using to test with? If Hannah, how long have the reagents been open? Had someone with a similar problem here recently and it seemed like it was a hannah tester reagent issue. Before continuing to try to raise your dKh based on those readouts, take some freshly mixed saltwater to your LFS and have them give you a readout. Better safe than sorry.
It’s the Red Sea test kit. It’s over a year old. Would it be so consistent with the numbers??

OP
OP
slav621

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not supposed to be using a 10ml sample? Or double your result.
Wait... Do I? Am I doing this right? Lol I am using 5 ml and the first drop I don't count. I then count the drops until the green color shows.

Attachments

• KHcard.jpg
    KHcard.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 14

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... Do I? Am I doing this right? Lol I am using 5 ml and the first drop I don't count. I then count the drops until the green color shows.
Are you using the 1DKH resolution part of the chart on the right hand side of that guide? (3rd row across). ie 7 drops is 7 DKH when using a 5ml sample.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back