A big lionfish question

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my freind was telling me that lionfish can differentiate between tankmate and prey. If they live with a fish for few months (even small) it never eats that fish but I just can't believe that. I think they eat whatever fits in their mouth. Is this true?

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it fits in his mouth it will end up there.

Having said that, I had a Volitan Lionfish with a Picasso Trigger which, when introduced, there was no apparent danger. The Lionfish grew fast, and I thought it only a matter of time before the trigger was no more. I traded it for a Spanish Hogfish twice the size, which the Lion ate immediately. So there's some truth in what your friend was saying, but I would not rely on it.

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it fits in his mouth it will end up there.

Having said that, I had a Volitan Lionfish with a Picasso Trigger, which were introduced at the same time. The Lionfish grew fast, and I thought it only a matter of time before the trigger was no more. I traded it for a Spanish Hogfish twice the size, which the Lion ate immediately. So there's some truth in what your friend was saying, but I would not rely on it.
He was saying that when lionfish will be of small size and a fish which is there from beginning of small size will stay from months, it will not eat it

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was saying that when lionfish will be of small size and a fish which is there from beginning of small size will stay from months, it will not eat it
You'll soon get a proof :). My demsel is with my lionfish from 5 weeks now. Currently,it is ignoring my demsel and demsel is teasing it. See what next happen

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll soon get a proof :). My demsel is with my lionfish from 5 weeks now. Currently,it is ignoring my demsel and demsel is teasing it. See what next happen
Yaa I hv seen your previous post. I actually don't want to put lionfish but just a question of curiosity :). If your lionfish eats that, please tell me as I am really wanted to know the answer

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild collected animals, as the name implies, are as wild as it gets. They don't weigh distinction between tankmates and prey. That being said, it might be possible to deter them from eating its tankmates by feeding heavily and giving smaller fish places to hide. Overall its a matter of time though.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nature is nature, @Mark Goode story has more to do with specific species of fish vs familiarity. The lion is an ambush predator, they will not chase down a faster more elusive fish, they will wait for them to come to them. Any new additions can be sized up for prey, and any fish in the tank one day may be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've seen fish disappear into a volitans stomach after a year or more. They don't think, hey this is my buddy I grew up with, it's an instinctual response, to eat what fits in their mouth.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back