A brush with death

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m not sure if this is coincidence or not but here’s the deal. Make a long story short. Tank has been up for 4 years. Never add any issues with sick fish. Added a Rock Flower Anemone and within 1 week my Bimaculatus Anthias huge male was found dead in perfect condition and coloration at the bottom with mouth and gills flared open. 4 days later my Harlequin Basslet was also found dead in perfect condition and coloration at the bottom of the tank with mouth and gills flared open. All other fish are swimming and eating as normal.

Can these Rock Flowers sting and kill fish? We’re my fish just plain stupid? Tested water all parameters are spot on.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m not sure if this is coincidence or not but here’s the deal. Make a long story short. Tank has been up for 4 years. Never add any issues with sick fish. Added a Rock Flower Anemone and within 1 week my Bimaculatus Anthias huge male was found dead in perfect condition and coloration at the bottom with mouth and gills flared open. 4 days later my Harlequin Basslet was also found dead in perfect condition and coloration at the bottom of the tank with mouth and gills flared open. All other fish are swimming and eating as normal.

Can these Rock Flowers sting and kill fish? We’re my fish just plain stupid? Tested water all parameters are spot on.

Never had a Rock anemone but from this thread it does not look like it can kill fish:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/can-a-rock-flower-anemone-kill-a-fish.395892/

Could be that the tank you got the anemone from brought with it a disease that is now in your tank. Not sure if you QT'd the anemone, but if not, its a very strong possibility.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is something was introduced to the tank with the rock flower.

What other fish do you have? Are they acting/eating normal? Anyone swimming near a powerhead?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is something was introduced to the tank with the rock flower.

What other fish do you have? Are they acting/eating normal? Anyone swimming near a powerhead?
Agree, curious the answer to this query as well

OP
OP
CODE3EMT

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No odd behavior from either fish, both were in the tank for over a year along with a purple tang, clown, yellow flanked wrasse, Mystery wrasse, and a few lyretail anthias. last night the Harlequin Basslet was swimming and acting normal...... this morning dead with mouth and gills open. All other fish as of this writing are acting appropriate. Strange both fish died in the EXACT same way.
Tested all parameters:
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.25
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1600
Alk. 9.0
Phosphate .03

Both fish were alive for some time and healthy, 4 days after the Rock Flower came in these 2 fish turned up dead. All other fish are fine so far.
On a positive note all LPS and green slimer acro are growing like weeds.

OP
OP
CODE3EMT

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This truly sucks as I paid $80 for this Rock Flower. It’s beautiful..... red like lava from a volcano, not sure if it was the culprit but it may have to go. My Bimaculatus Anthias was one of my prized fish. The Harlequin Basslet was also a great fish. Never had any issues all. Very very healthy fish. Like I said both died in the exact same way not even 1 week apart.
No body damage
No torn fins
Coloration even at death was brilliant
No injuries
No red spots
No Ick

Just mouth and gills wide open.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back