A conversation about tank reefs vs ocean reefs

  • Thread starter Thread starter SharkFinn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SharkFinn

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 20, 2023
Messages
9
Reaction score
31
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my interest in starting a reef tank really comes from my fascination with ocean reefs and the conservation of the coral in the ocean. I have always had a passion for marine biology and recently had the opportunity to set up my first saltwater tank. In setting up this tank I have found this awesome community that is so passionate about their tanks and helping others set up and care for their coral. I find it amazing that there is such a large community supporting something that is "relatively niche".

Now the conservationist in me wants to ask the question "are there other people in this community that have an interest in ocean coral reefs?" With coral facing so many threats in nature, the population is declining at a shocking rate. For example, we have lost 14% of the world's reefs in the last 10 years. It's one of those stats that most people would never know and when they hear it, it doesn't matter without the right perspective. I feel like this community is one that would feel how significant and awful that is.

So I guess my question is this "Should hobbyist reef-keeping communities be having more conversations about the future of coral reefs in the ocean?"
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new