A conversation about tank reefs vs ocean reefs

SharkFinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my interest in starting a reef tank really comes from my fascination with ocean reefs and the conservation of the coral in the ocean. I have always had a passion for marine biology and recently had the opportunity to set up my first saltwater tank. In setting up this tank I have found this awesome community that is so passionate about their tanks and helping others set up and care for their coral. I find it amazing that there is such a large community supporting something that is "relatively niche".

Now the conservationist in me wants to ask the question "are there other people in this community that have an interest in ocean coral reefs?" With coral facing so many threats in nature, the population is declining at a shocking rate. For example, we have lost 14% of the world's reefs in the last 10 years. It's one of those stats that most people would never know and when they hear it, it doesn't matter without the right perspective. I feel like this community is one that would feel how significant and awful that is.

So I guess my question is this "Should hobbyist reef-keeping communities be having more conversations about the future of coral reefs in the ocean?"

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back