Entomophage

Entomophage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Highs, Low Lows

Well, the bad news first. I was inspecting my seams today and notice some bubbles that I don't remember seeing before. I haven't given the seams a close inspection since I started running the lights, so I'm hoping they were always there and I just never noticed. Still not good!

20200209_131647.jpg

The discoloration of the silicone around these bubbles and the overall appearance of this defect, combined with the fact that I'm fairly certain it's new it extremely disconcerting. I'll be keeping an eye on it daily and looking for any progression at which point I'll contact the manufacturer. The tank has a 5 year warranty, so you can imagine my disappointment that this happened after being full for just over a month. :(

In better news, I've got coralline growth!

20200209_193413.jpg

It's hard to tell in the photo since everything looks pink under the grow lights on my fuge, but I definitely have a few new spots of coralling algae! This is a record for me at 34 days since the tank got wet AND starting with no live rock, just some rubble from my LFS.

So it's been a rollercoaster today. Fingers crossed those bubbles have been in the silicone all along, I just didn't notice, and there's no progression. Frankly, that would still suck, but it's the best possible outcome at this point.

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at buying the 150 gallon aquarium from SCA and want to build my own cabinet. I was interested in how you went about making your doors? It looks like you used plywood in the center. What thickness did you go with and how did you make it so the back of the doors were completely flush? Did you just router out a groove in the outer door pieces and place the plywood in the groove? Thanks!

OP
OP
Entomophage

Entomophage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure first @pwilliaml, I'm by no means a finish carpenter so you might get better advice from a pro. That said, you can get a decent view of it in this pic:

20191204_220103.jpg

I used 3/8" oak plywood, cut with about 1/4" overlap on all four sides of the opening in the stand. I then measured and cut the trim at 45 degrees on a mitre saw to fit right on the front face of the plywood. The door were attached with basic hinges, no fancy insets, and I'm using magnetic door catches. All the hardware was from Home Depot.

20191214_185420.jpg

Hope that helps!

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows this tank going? Wanted to say Hi. I'm in Central Oregon as well. Would be nice to get a frag group going here in Central Oregon.
@bmbrad Although it's not exclusive to Central OR, http://www.pnwmas.org/, has members throughout Oregon and WA. The Members Map, which only shows paid members and only those who choose to show their location, shows one member in Bend, one in Medford, one in Eugene, and then more going north. Have you met member Rob, from Bend ?

bmbrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bmbrad Although it's not exclusive to Central OR, http://www.pnwmas.org/, has members throughout Oregon and WA. The Members Map, which only shows paid members and only those who choose to show their location, shows one member in Bend, one in Medford, one in Eugene, and then more going north. Have you met member Rob, from Bend ?
I’ll have to check it out. I haven’t met Rob from Bend. I know there are plenty of people in Central Oregon that have reef tanks just only have seen 2 or 3 on this site. My neighbor next door to me is also always looking to buy and trade frags.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to check it out. I haven’t met Rob from Bend. I know there are plenty of people in Central Oregon that have reef tanks just only have seen 2 or 3 on this site. My neighbor next door to me is also always looking to buy and trade frags.
Give me a way to reach out to you at random times in the future, and I'll try to setup a meet before some future Central Oregon trip. (whenever Covid allows.)

Bccarty151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in central Oregon just setting up another tank after a 10 year break....would be nice to trade corals and knowledge with locals!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back