Restarting my 80 gallon reef tank

Vetekli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! I read this forum quite a lot but this is my first thread. I started my first reef tank 6 years ago. I would say i was moderatly successful, made a lot of mistakes but also learned alot.

However i haven't had much time or interest in the aquarium lately so decided to do a restart. However, it took over six months from the time I emptied the aquarium (moved few fish and coral I wanted to keep to another temporarily) until it is up and running again.

The aquarium is a 300 liter /80 gallon optiwhite made by a company here in sweden and its on a stand from Juwel. Has no sump so all equipment is in the tank. However, I will build something similar to an acrylic sump that I will have in the tank, a similar solution to what is usually called AIO, although mine will be able to be lifted out of the aquarium. Will try to make it as minimal as possible.

Haven't really decided what to have in the tank yet. Always wanted an anemone with clowns, either a magnifica, crispa or malu. There will probably be a large anemone and some suitable corals. I have tried to make a more thought out scape, it took a long time to divide the rocks and glue them together into something a little more interesting. Maybe it doesn't look so natural, but I'm still quite happy.

In terms of fish, I have thought about the following.

2 clowns
1 Wrasse Iridis
1 Wrasse Leopard blue star
1 goby or mandarin
1 flasher wrasse
1 royal gramma
1 or 2 pajama cardinal

Will mainly post updates in the form of short videos. Here is the tank cycled and with one pajama cardinal as the first fish.

Last edited:

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope you can keep posting updates, many people here with a lot of knowledge who can help you in the process of starting over

OP
OP
V

Vetekli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video above was actually a week old. I have added one pajama since then and a macro algea (red ogo). Hoping it will help with nutrient export. I can see some type of brown uglies but i actually feel like it decreased already compared to how it was a few days ago. I also added a bunch of pods.

From today.

OP
OP
V

Vetekli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragged and added a gorgonian from my temporary holding tank (dont want to transfer anything from rock) and also some blue sympodium. Just added some dove snails and some ceriths are in there as well (hiding in the sand now). The red ogo macro is growing really fast. Also clowns are in.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back