A couple of montipora's turning white

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few montiporas tuning white. It looks like little bumps on them turning white. All the polyps are out and look good. The only thing that has changed is my lights. I went from 96w 4 bulb T5's to 36 Bridgelux LED's. I'm only running blues right now though as my other Driver was bad. Could the blue only be the problem, or do I have the lights set to high?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with a couple chalices when I added a ReefBrite strip. The LED's bleached them, put them lower in the tank and in a more shaded area and the color has returned.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to always acclimate the corals to new lights/bulbs.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blues is not the problem. In nature the most the corals don't receive much color other than blues and violets cause the water filters out most red/green spectrum even at only 15' depths. How high are your blues up? You have enough leds for a 50 gal tank so your gona have to run pretty low. Raise up the leds to like 2' or turn em down. Def bleaching when they are white and still have polyps.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, get them low. it will take them 2-3x as long to color back up as it did to bleach them. I fought the same battle when I did my LED's ran dhem very low for several weeks. took me 6 weeks to ramp them up and even now, they dont run full strength. my NON dimming ones run for 6 hours daily and the dimmables run for 10 but only at a max of 80% for 7 hours.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I did same as lindsey took long time to ramp up. Also if that pokerstars is bleaching you def got ur lights to bright since that piece is alrdy used to leds and at very top of my tank at like 300+ par

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back