A couple of questions before I add fish

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to potentially get some clown fish tomorrow but before I do I wanted to check in here and make sure that I’m doing everything correctly. I’ve been cycling my tank for 19 days as of yesterday.

1. My tank is cycled and was able to convert ammonia drops to 1ppm to nitrite in 12 hours and nitrate in about 24 hours. Is this ok?

2. I haven’t fed the tank any more ammonia as I did a water change when the ammonia and nitrites hit 0s. Do I need to feed ammonia again as it’s sat for 24 hours now without being fed?

3. After my water change I had about 20 ppm nitrate according to API test, but about 2.5 ppm according to salifert. Which should I trust more?

4. I plan on doing another little water change tomorrow to get rid of the residual nitrates, that ok?

As of tonight my stats are

PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 or 2.5
Salinity 1.024
Temp 80 but will bring this down to 78

Anything else I need to be made aware of before I get fish? I’ll be drip acclimating them tomorrow unless I’m forgetting something.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Rock, bacteria and say a day or two, your cycled.
You have 19 days.
Time for a fish or two, they will be the ammonia source.
Next step, get a measure on phosphate and work towards keeping those numbers pinned, as little daily flux as possible.
Drip is only if the fish is in lower salinity waters than DT, otherwise, float, net, dump, and discard bag water.
Enjoy.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to potentially get some clown fish tomorrow but before I do I wanted to check in here and make sure that I’m doing everything correctly. I’ve been cycling my tank for 19 days as of yesterday.

1. My tank is cycled and was able to convert ammonia drops to 1ppm to nitrite in 12 hours and nitrate in about 24 hours. Is this ok?

2. I haven’t fed the tank any more ammonia as I did a water change when the ammonia and nitrites hit 0s. Do I need to feed ammonia again as it’s sat for 24 hours now without being fed?

3. After my water change I had about 20 ppm nitrate according to API test, but about 2.5 ppm according to salifert. Which should I trust more?

4. I plan on doing another little water change tomorrow to get rid of the residual nitrates, that ok?

PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 or 2.5
Salinity 1.024

Anything else I need to be made aware of before I get fish? I’ll be drip acclimating them tomorrow unless I’m forgetting something.
Looks like you're ready to go.

In terms of fish, don't worry about the Nitrate because both are okay.

You probably should figure out which test is correct, but I'd bet on the salifert as long as you're reading it correctly. You should be looking from above with the vial sitting on the card for low range.
If you're looking across the vial holding the card behind the vial that is 10x the number on the card.

I wouldn't change any water as it is unnecessary.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 or 2.5
Salinity 1.024

Forgot to mention.

PLEASE try to buy pre-quarantined fish if you're not running a QT.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're ready to go.

In terms of fish, don't worry about the Nitrate because both are okay.

You probably should figure out which test is correct, but I'd bet on the salifert as long as you're reading it correctly. You should be looking from above with the vial sitting on the card for low range.
If you're looking across the vial holding the card behind the vial that is 10x the number on the card.

I wouldn't change any water as it is unnecessary.
That’s the way I’m reading it, no idea which is right but I’ve heard people hate API haha

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention.

PLEASE try to buy pre-quarantined fish if you're not running a QT.
The ones I’m getting are from a local place that has them in copper, I figured since they are the only critters going in for a while I can treat my main tank like a QT but maybe I’m stupid?

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Rock, bacteria and say a day or two, your cycled.
You have 19 days.
Time for a fish or two, they will be the ammonia source.
Next step, get a measure on phosphate and work towards keeping those numbers pinned, as little daily flux as possible.
Drip is only if the fish is in lower salinity waters than DT, otherwise, float, net, dump, and discard bag water.
Enjoy.
I do have a phosphate test, I’ll probably do that tonight to check what it’s at

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a phosphate test, I’ll probably do that tonight to check what it’s at
Perfect, your micro-fauna critters use phosphate and nitrate, and those guys we want to feed, as they develop in population and diversity, it’s these guys that keep our rocks and sand clean.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the way I’m reading it, no idea which is right but I’ve heard people hate API haha
The salifert will be correct if you're reading it correctly.
I have Salifert and Hanna and they always agree within the resolution of each test.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I’m getting are from a local place that has them in copper, I figured since they are the only critters going in for a while I can treat my main tank like a QT but maybe I’m stupid?

If they're in copper, they should be fine.

Problem with using your tank as a QT, is that you cannot dose it with copper as Cu is absorbed by the rock and sand. Cu also kills Inverts and Coral.

If you end up with disease in your main tank, you will have to set up a QT for the fish to be treated.
Much easier to buy pre quarantined fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 or 2.5
Salinity 1.024

Im not fond of nor trust API anything and in time you;ll see why. I would highly suggest to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at.
What concerns me is that you added ammonia and sounds like it was repeated. With the Api almost always reading zero, I believe its higher than you see. The ammonia chloride step is one time application:
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride. Then you want to monitor ammonia , When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not fond of nor trust API anything and in time you;ll see why. I would highly suggest to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at.
What concerns me is that you added ammonia and sounds like it was repeated. With the Api almost always reading zero, I believe its higher than you see. The ammonia chloride step is one time application:
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride. Then you want to monitor ammonia , When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Ammonia is zero and has shown movement down every time that I add it in. Isn’t that what I’m looking for mainly?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 or 2.5
Salinity 1.024

1) You're good.
2) No need to add anymore ammonia, as the waste from the clowns will handle this.
3) API are garbage. Trust the Salifert, but either way, you're fine.
4) No need. Stick to a weekly 10% change from here on out.
Addendum: test the bag water and acclimate accordingly. As has already been said: if you can't QT, aim for prequarantined or tank raised fish. Congrats and best of luck!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your clown pair and enjoy.
Nature will take it from there.
5A5E9D1A-CAB7-4074-A802-B0E00139AB3E.jpeg

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
I love clownfish.
Long lived, super resilient, interesting personality, tolerant of most others.
Great starter fish.
Will set up home anywhere using anything.
After over 20 years in the hobby, clowns are still my favorite fish. My wife says theyre the golden retrievers of fish. The perfect combo of cute, derpy and smart.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back