A disease is wiping out Caribbean corals. Coming soon to a reef tank near you?

View Badges
Australia had same problem a few years ago ,just last week reef is coming back there spawning again and landing where the dead stuff is.it will be OK ,there just moving away from us or trying..

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im bringing this thread back up after receiving a new AquaBiomics test result.

My test showed that I have SCTLD in my tank. I have been battling a mysterious RTN/STN event in my tank for months now. All parameters have been great, Ive sent out at least 5 ICP test results and fixed any minor problem I had so I figured it had to be something else, and aquabiomcs provided the answer.

Now, how to fix the problem? Its recently been proven that a new gel Amoxycillen has been proven to work against the disease: https://reefbuilders.com/2021/11/10...reatment-for-stony-coral-tissue-loss-disease/

As this gel is not publicly available yet I am attempting multiple treatments to try and rid the disease. AquaBiomics did post a fantastic article of using Ciprio to cure Brown jelly disease:

So my treatment to try and rid the tank of SCTLD is trying the Ciprio treatment along with Tritons STN-X and RTN-X treatment all at once. All of this is a lot for the tank but I'm at the point of desperation as I'm loosing corals and its only a matter of time until all of them are effected.

If this does fail I am thinking of dosing Amoxycillen to the whole tank as it would wipe out all the bacteria including SCTLD hopefully. But I'm sure I would loose a lot of livestock doing that.

Please anyone let me know your thoughts on this.

-Also wanted to point out that I added 10 pounds of Caribbean live rock to the tank about 6 months ago, this could definitely be the contributor but no way to prove it at this point, but something to keep in mind.

Good Luck
i've done a round of Triton Rtn-x & whilst too early to draw any conclusion i do think its helped or done something as i haven't had any coral rtn events since dosing it but i only finished the 21 day dosing a month ago.
Same story as you - icp's fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back