a ELOS 70 Mostly SPS BLOG - "My Final Build"

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ELOS 70 – “My Final Build”

- Introduction

The spark of “reefing” first started on a trip to Hawaii with my mom when I was age 10-11. I went snorkeling in Oahu and fell in love with everything below the water. The beauty below the water was unimaginable. I had seen movies or pictures but seeing the reef in person is much much better! Words can never express the beauty on the reef.

After my trip to Hawaii I began keeping my own tank at the age of 14. I started with a modest 29 gallon tank with a basic T8 lighting hood. The tank consisted of sand, live rock, and a few fish. This FOWLR experience carried me through until 18 when I entered the Marines right after high school. During boot-camp my mom “accidentally” dropped the light in the tank frying everything.

While in the Marines I had a very small 7 gallon mini-bow tank. I was out in force with power-compact lighting and even started keeping soft corals like zoas. I replenished my calk/alk needs with kalkwasser via top-off and learned very quickly how to NUKE a tank via kalkwasser using this method on such a small tank.

My next tank was a 20 gallon long tank with a 250w 20k XM bulb. This system was very simple and thrived. I grew SPS very quickly and realized how hooked I was in the hobby. Throughout college I kept various tanks including a 30g cube, 60g long, and 57g illuminata.

My most recent tanks I have set up were a Reefer 170 and most recently a custom 50g cube with synergy reef overflow. Over the past 21 years I have learned a lot in the hobby. I have had many ups and many many many downs.

The most recent tank crashes have been caused my daughter adding kids soap into my system trying to clean the tank and my youngest son thinking the sump was a toilet and peeing in the sump.

- Closing Comments

In my 21 years of experience the most important things I have learned are (1) Patience, (2) Kid Proof, and (3) Murphy’s Law.

1. If you do not have patience you better learn some quickly. Nothing happens in this hobby quickly. If you want a show tank “NOW” then you better hire someone to give it to you because those “show” quality tanks take years and years of hard work and also require a lot of luck.

2. For those of you with kids like me, take this one to heart! Please try to KID PROOF your setup as much as possible. I never, in a million years, thought my daughter would get it in her head to clean the tank by adding liquid soap, especially since I reinforce never to touch my tank and have since birth. Also, I never thought my youngest would think the sump was a toilet. It’s these simple things that can cause complete tank crashes and which we never plan to happen… Try your best to “kid proof” your setup.

3. This leads me to Murphy’s Law. What ever can happen will even if you plan for the impossible. Just look at all the people with thriving tanks go belly up just because they took a vacation and “oops” something happens (they don’t even know what). We can plan plan plan and in the end luck comes into play. We hope and pray “Lady Luck” is on our side.

The Part You All Have Been Waiting For

ELOS 70 – My Final Build

My wife said “FINAL” but we will see!​

In keeping with the 3 most important things I’ve learned over the past 21 years I would like to address my new build according to these concerns.

1. Patience is key and because of that I ordered 40lbs of Buna Ultra Live rock that is/has been cycling in a bin of water for the past 3 weeks and will continue to cycle until the tank is set up. Another thing this build is waiting on is for the floors to be remodeled and the wallpaper behind the tank to be retextured and painted in our newly purchased house. I expect this whole process to take 2-3 months from today and and know that my tank and I will be much happier than if I rushed my setup only to move it into the kitchen and then move it back when the walls and floors are done.

(4/20/19) The house remodel wasn't finished until March 2019 which was 7+ months after my original post. Also the rock was cycling and curing for a good 6+ months in a dark bin of salt water.

2. In order to “kid proof” the ELOS 70 setup I plan on adding a lock to the ELOS cabinet as well as a lock to the electronics cabinet off to the side of the tank. The kids will have no access to the sump or any electronics.

(4/20/19) The main electronics is behind a door which I have the ability to lock with a Key. The only thing the kids have access too is my top off container.

3. To try and combat Murphy’s Law I plan on doing a lot of praying! No, just kidding… I will do my best to make sure everything is backed up. The heart of this backup is adding 2-3 backup batteries to my return pump (a Vectra M1). My house is fairly-well insulated and holds its temperature pretty well. Also, living in California I have never had the power go out for longer than 12-14 hours. On my last setup I employed the backup batteries on the Vectra return pump and was very surprised that my Vectra power supply died and the batteries kept the system running (at a reduced speed of course) for 36+ hours. But at the end of the day, I WILL PRAY A LOT!!!

(4/20/19) To combat power outages I am looking to add either a whole house generator with the ability to run key systems like the modem, frig/freezer, tank, tank-less water heater or just adding a few backup batteries to my tank. I'm opting for the backup batteries just because of cost. Also, in my area of California we rarely have power outages but when we do the power could be out for 1-2 hours.

Current FTS! (7/14/19 - 4 Months)
lg1VCcP.jpg

OYL2W6l.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this build I decided on a GEOs Reef 24R sump. I previously owned a GEOs Reef 612 Calcium Reactor and was very impressed by build quality and the simple fact it was made in the USA.

For lighting this was a toss up. I owned 2 radion xr30 gen4 pros from my previous build and decided to keep them for this next build. I will say though, ATI 24" 4 bulb Hybrid was a serious contender.

The wall-papered and carpeted wall that will be retextured and hardwood installed before tank is setup. The cabinet will be locked for "kid proofing."

The inside of the cabinet will be further "kid proofed" by housing all of the electronics as well as dosing materials and serious parts I don't want the kids to touch.

The 40lbs of Buna Ultra Live Rock cycling. I figure it will be cycling in this bin for approximately 3-4 months total before adding to the tank.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I looked at the Buna Ultra Live Rock, but ended up getting nice old school live rock from my LFS (they air freight it in still). What do you think of the Buna? I have heard mixed thoughts.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I looked at the Buna Ultra Live Rock, but ended up getting nice old school live rock from my LFS (they air freight it in still). What do you think of the Buna? I have heard mixed thoughts.

Thanks,

The Buna looks good, nothing like in the videos or pictures though. All the coralline is gone but it would have died if I cycled it for months in darkness anyways. The only thing bad about the Buna was there was more paper stuck in crevases than die off. With a bit of dunking it easily comes out though. Honestly I hope I ordered enough because live rock n reef is sold out now.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

The Buna looks good, nothing like in the videos or pictures though. All the coralline is gone but it would have died if I cycled it for months in darkness anyways. The only thing bad about the Buna was there was more paper stuck in crevases than die off. With a bit of dunking it easily comes out though. Honestly I hope I ordered enough because live rock n reef is sold out now.

Got it. I heard it was light on the coralline. For what it is worth, this is what I got. Pacific live rock from the LFS covered with coralline and life
00DFD1AE-0487-4A6E-9997-76A1ED1BE399.jpeg

EDIT: the three big rocks, plus some shelf rock I cured and matured for six months prior.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I heard it was light on the coralline. For what it is worth, this is what I got. Pacific live rock from the LFS covered with coralline and life
00DFD1AE-0487-4A6E-9997-76A1ED1BE399.jpeg

EDIT: the three big rocks, plus some shelf rock I cured and matured for six months prior.

Very nice. Unfortunately my LFSes don’t have anything.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got word back from Aquarium Specialty... Great news is tank is in bad news is stand is messed up. Going to have to wait another week on new stand and hopefully have tank shipped before MACNA.

All rock is cycling away. It’s looking very good and I’m sure will do well in my tank.

I’m 99% convinced I’m gonna use sand on this build, normally I go bare bottom but I know the kids want sand. I’ll just have to be super careful to hide the cleaning magnets from the kids.

Rotknee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the sump choice. Never heard of Geo before but gotta say I like what they have produced.

Any updates? Looking forward to seeing your progress.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the sump choice. Never heard of Geo before but gotta say I like what they have produced.

Any updates? Looking forward to seeing your progress.

You probably won’t believe this but still waiting on tank and stand. It’s been rough...

I ordered tank back in July and was told would be delivered in mid August. Here we are at mid-end November and tank just shipped from italy.

Can’t wait to get it up and going but will take things slow once setup before I add corals.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay patient. Took me seven months to get a usable tank.

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, we don't get the option of these nice clean looking acrylic sumps in the UK, its a shame because you guys have some real beauties to pick from!

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, we don't get the option of these nice clean looking acrylic sumps in the UK, its a shame because you guys have some real beauties to pick from!

You know, while I love acrylic sumps I also worry about heaters touching them.

Also, another thing I didn’t think about before I ordered the sump was adding a Klir fleece filter. The rim of the acrylic sump needs to be slightly trimmed to fit the Klir.

It just goes to show you that no matter how long you've been in the hobby you always forget something or your plans change over time.

Rotknee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the waiting sucks at least you are still in the game. Glad to hear your tank is on its way.

Adding a Klir is an excellent idea!!! I'm going to reach out to Geo to see if they can modify the SU24R to accept the 4" Klir unit.

Which Deltec skimmer do you have? I've used Bubble Kings on previous tanks and really like them and was thinking about the Mini 160. I was doing my homework on the Deltec 600ix which utilizes a DC pump and is significantly cheaper.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer I own is the first gen 600 I think it’s calles sc1351. I owned the dc version and it had 3 pumps fail due to hardware problems. I “upgraded” to the ac version by changing the pump and base plate. I also used to own a BK160 and prefer the deltec. Could never dial in the bk correctly because the wedge pipe was so inconsistent. The valve on the deltec was more precise and a better fit for my tank. It looks like the new version took care of the first gen problems. The base plate was light on gen 1 making the skimmer wobbly.

Modding the geo should be simple. I’ve measured and you need to cut 1/2-3/4” on rim away from the sock section... not much really. Once the klir gets here in a week or so I’ll mod the sump and post pictures. I plan on using a router for clean cuts.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and stand finally arrived. Will take some pictures soon. I would like to hook everything up for a water-only test run within the month. However, the system won't be completely set up until my wife picks out the flooring and we have it installed. It could take another 2-3 months.

I also have to modify the GEO sump slightly and will show that soon too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back