A few issues in the display

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in agreement this is Lymphocystis? Spotted it on my copperband this afternoon. No visual spots on his body, looks happy and healthy, swimming his tank lengths as usual and feeding great.

_A727089.JPG

Also noticed the coris wrasse and cleaner wrasse scratching against rocks and sand at times. Both look healthy and nothing visual, other than a scratch on the yellow wrasses side, both are feeding well. I did wonder whether they were just searching for copepods.

Neither of these fish have approached the cleaner shrimp....

...Recently added two new tangs to the QT and cut short the quarantine of 3 new chromis, due to managing water quality in the QT.

The first day of being added to the DT one of the chromis was straight over to the cleaner shrimp and was having regular visits for the first couple of days. I hope that hasn't brought something sinister to the tank. His scales do look slightly discoloured in places, I've taken a few photos but nothing really shows up
_A727097.JPG

What course of action would you guys take in this situation?

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on it until you can make a better diagnosis. Best not to jump into action until you can be more certain. Perhaps a uv scrubber if you want something not too invasive to the other inhabitants.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be Lymphocystis on the copperband (it is a bit skinny, feed it up as you are able to). The scratching is of course a possible symptom of flukes. I would consider buying some Prazipro now and having it at the ready as you watch to see how things develop. Ultimately, I'm more worried that ich will start up in these fish, as it so often does.

Jay

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be Lymphocystis on the copperband (it is a bit skinny, feed it up as you are able to). The scratching is of course a possible symptom of flukes. I would consider buying some Prazipro now and having it at the ready as you watch to see how things develop. Ultimately, I'm more worried that ich will start up in these fish, as it so often does.

Jay
Thanks for the help Jay. I have the UK version of Prazi on order, a lot of UK reefers are having the same success as Prazi which is difficult to get hold of here.

I'll feed him up more then, I do tend to feed quite heavily and he always eats well and will feed from the pipette too.

I'm praying this doesn't turn into something worse. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on it until you can make a better diagnosis. Best not to jump into action until you can be more certain. Perhaps a uv scrubber if you want something not too invasive to the other inhabitants.
Thanks mate, yeah had a UV running at a low flow rate for pretty much the duration of the tank being set up.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's looking like it's a fluke infestation. Freshwater dips been done on a wrasse and two chromis with confirmation of flukes after the dip.

The wrasse looks massively relieved now. Really sad for my copperband though, he's come out in a few spots, obviously the flukes have now attached to his body...

... if my treatment doesn't arrive tomorrow he's going in the FW dip, poor little guy!!

received_965747277255284.jpeg

I'll report back here how I get on and the results I get with the Fluke-solve medication. I've got really high expectations of it based on reviews I've read.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Fluke-solve arrived this afternoon so I took an extended dinner break to get the tank dosed.

Simple instructions. A 10g sachet treats 2500 litres so 1g made up in 250ml of RODI or tank water will treat 250 litres. The provided spoon is a 1g measurement, leveled.

As my system is 400 litres in total (excluding rock and sand) I measured out 2 scoops (2 grams) into 500ml of RODI, the mixture dissolved pretty quickly. I then poured 400ml directly into my DT, turning the water a milky colour which lasted around 15 minutes before beginning to dissipate.

Both powerheads have been raised and pointed as close to the surface as possible, return inlet is also breaking the surface. Air stone also placed in the return chamber of sump. Carbon removed, skimmer cup removed but still running, UV Steriliser turned off. Windows wide open - hopefully all these steps will promote ample gas exchange during the deleted oxygen levels!

Luckily the fish mummy (my wife) is working from home so she kept her eye on everyone whilst I had to run back to work.

All corals have reacted well, no issues....

Stock List
- Aussie Torch
- Zoanthaids
- Green Goniopora
- Trachyphyllia
- Red Plating Montipora
- Elegance Coral
- Green slimmer Acro
- Hammer Coral

Fish have reacted well on the whole.

Stock List
- 2x Ocellaris clownfish
- 5x Green/blue chromis
- Yellow Coris Wrasse
- Cleaner Wrasse
- Bi-colour Blenny
- x2 Chalk Gobies
- Copperband Butterfly
- Cleaner Shrimp
- Numerous Turbo, Nassarius, Trochus snails

Surprisingly everyone, bar our Copperband have been feeding well. Perhaps the clowns are showing a little appetite surpression, but still eating. The cleaner wrasse who had been majorly triggered these past few days is like a different fish - he's still flashing but not as erratically and his appetite is ten-fold!!

We have upped our game by feeding blended clam, razor clam, prawn and garlic -- frozen and then grated into the tank... they couldn't resist.

The only fish which hasn't eaten since treatment is our beloved copperband (love this guy!!) He's hanging out in his sleeping spot with his heckles up, looks really annoyed and perhaps breathing a little quicker. He still has had a swim around on occasions but almost seemed light sensitive - hiding away in the shadows but came out once with lights went out (turned them off early).

I really hope he gets his appetite back, I'm not worried about him too much at the moment, you just hear so many horror stories about them stopping eating and then struggling to get them eating again! Doing everything we can though, just ordered some Selcon which will arrive in the next day or two - hopefully help fatten him up....

.... don't think there's much else we can do. Keep your fingers crossed for us guys, I'll report back in a couple of days.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 67 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back