A few questions on a "new - but sorta not new" tank

thousandth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just set up a JBJ 28g Nano Cube HQI system. I put in live sand, live rocks that were already cured from another system, even filled the tank with water from an established system. I have some mechanical filtration and some live rock rubble in the sump on the back. The systems has been up running for 3 days. Tested and all levels are good. I just added two Clownfish with two Featherdusters.

My questions are. 1) how long till I can add corals? Do I still treat this as a new tank since everything but the live sand came from established systems?

2) When adding snails, hermit crabs etc. do you still have to wait 2 weeks between additions like you do with fish? i.e. I should wait 2 weeks to add them since I just added the fish?

3) Do I absolutely need a chiller? I live in a house without air conditioning.

4) Do I absolutely need a quarantine tank? If so whats the minimum setup?

Thanks

rvlockhart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before adding corals I would wait and make sure parameters stable temp,Alk.,cal.,ect. You should be able to treat it as a established tank as long as the live rock wasn't dry for too long. Snails and crabs don't add alot of bioload so you should be ok there. I wouldn't add too much too quick with such a small volume of water take it slow. If you can't keep your temp. stable try using a fan blowing across the top of the water before investing in a chiller. Quarantine tank I would highly recommend all livestock I get is quarantined I keep mine running constantly. A 10gal. tank is a all around good size.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already way jumped the gun on the fish you may as well with coral too, start off with simple and cheap corals like mushrooms, button polyps/zoos/palys, GSP, kenya tree and the like. You're going to have some trouble when your tank starts cycling though.

A ten gallon QT will be plenty for any fish you'd be able to fit in up to say a 55 ultimately

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already way jumped the gun on the fish you may as well with coral too, start off with simple and cheap corals like mushrooms, button polyps/zoos/palys, GSP, kenya tree and the like. You're going to have some trouble when your tank starts cycling though.

A ten gallon QT will be plenty for any fish you'd be able to fit in up to say a 55 ultimately

I dont know if its all that dire but I agree in general, thats probably a bit early for fish even if the rock and water were from an established system. But they are in there now and moving forward, make a plan for success. I'd go easy on feeding them (less than you think you should) and see how things play out over the next week or two. Keep testing the water, often the cycle everyone talks about isnt as distinct as all that, especially with previously cycled rock. You may never see ammonia on the kit but its a pretty sure bet that at least small amounts are present. I would say you could actually try some cheap starter corals in there in a week or two if your water quality holds. Kenya Tree, zoanthids, mushroom corals and other softies all seem to tolerate a fair amount of nitrogenous waste in the water and may in fact feed on (and or solid fish waste) it to some degree. Of course I wouldn't recommend adding SPS anytime soon however and if that is your eventual stocking plan, I'd stay away from getting the more weedy soft corals established.

One thing to keep in mind is that anytime live rock gets moved there is potentially some die off of bacteria and microorganisms. Sponges that have grown out of the rock in an established tank often dieback when exposed to air and/or ripped from the substrate upon moving. I have learned this the hard way more than once. This die off may create a mini cycle if you will which in turn can kill off other organisms and so on...basically evolving into a full cycle. All of this stuff happening can stress your fishes as well which can lead to parasite and opportunistic infections. I'd just wait it out and see. If you show an ammonia spike or the fish show signs of stress I'd look to relocate them while the tank stabilizes. I wouldnt add any cleanup crew until needed, basically when you start to see some algae growing add a few cleaners. The ridiculous numbers some companies that sell these animals give you is NOT a good guideline. Just add a few cleaners, maybe 2-3 hermits and a couple of snails at first and see how things go. Then later maybe a cuke and/or serpent star. If you stock at reasonable levels and dont overfeed, a tank like that can easily be kept under control with a very small group of CC animals.

Hope this helps.

Rukis

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) how long till I can add corals? If the bacteria was established in a prior reef system on the live rock/sand, you should be fine to ad corals once you see coraline growing on the walls and/or tiny calcified spiral feathers (forgot what they are called)

2) When adding snails, hermit crabs etc. wait 2 weeks...? The cleaner crew should be the first addition to the tank after the rock and sand, get them in there asap, especially if there are already fish in there. Just temp acclimate and dump em in!

3) Do I absolutely need a chiller? It is ideal to run a chiller!!!! Even if the chiller doesnt kick on a lot, you want maintain a constant temp, around 77. Especially with a closed top HQI nano you will probably run into heat issues (especially in the summer). good to be prepared....

4) Do I absolutely need a quarantine tank? No need to set up a QT tank, you can get by if you just dip EVERYTHING YOU GET!!!!! Lugol's is a good start, and/or Revive or Coral Rx works well for me...

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back