New to Saltwater!

saltybandb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very new to saltwater, just started up a 15 Spec.
I bought live sand, live rock from LFS and pre-mixed SW from LFS.
I literally just filled the tank yesterday (ik the cycling process can take a month or more) but just for giggles i tested the water.
pH 8.2
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 160
Ammonia 1
Is this normal for a brand new tank? I haven't dosed the tank with anything, just filled it. Do I need to dose with anything or is this normal and I let it run it's coarse?

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just filled the tank yesterday (ik the cycling process can take a month or more) but just for giggles i tested the water.
pH 8.2
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 160
Ammonia 1
Is this normal for a brand new tank? I haven't dosed the tank with anything, just filled it. Do I need to dose with anything or is this normal and I let it run it's coarse?
That’s normal. Also, nitrite will give you a false nitrate reading, so don’t test nitrate until all the nitrite is gone.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yeah, assuming they're actually live, live rock and live sand can both instant cycle a tank (live rock being the safer option of the two for this), so you're probably just seeing the tank cycling (converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate) the organic matter that came with the rock/sand.

Upvote 0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on, I am confused.

How is having high nutrients in a tank that just got water poured into it normal? Unless if the live rock and sand are actually live and there being a die off happening, this should not be happening? I am confused. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
pH 8.2
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 160
Ammonia 1
Before accepting these numbers, best for a cycle start, add ammonia chloride such as Brightwell brand and when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are then cycled.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless if the live rock and sand are actually live and there being a die off happening, this should not be happening?
I assumed there was die off happening to kick start the cycle/nutrients - if there's no die off, then yeah it wouldn't make sense to have nutrients in a tank that just got water added.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH 8.2
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 160
Ammonia 1
Let it run the course, thats normal for the start of the cycle assuming you used an ammonia source and bottled bacteria

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

saltybandb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before accepting these numbers, best for a cycle start, add ammonia chloride such as Brightwell brand and when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are then cycled.
I should add ammonia even though the ammonia is already high?

Upvote 0

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

Attachments

• IMG_9144.jpeg
    IMG_9144.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the live rock and sand is actually as stated and they did not get dry, you are good to go. There can be die off from certain hitchikers either from different salt mix to extreme temp change. If all was about the same, your good. You can lways add a bottle of fritz in if in doubt but no necessary. A "cycle" is really bacteria establishment. The cycle is on going. If using API those may always show ammonia.

Just to verify, did you use RO/DI for your water to mix with salt? If you used tap water I would not reecomend starting and ammonia may not be false.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back