A few questions regarding the culture and propagation of amphipods and brine shrimp.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having some success with my scuffed copepod - culture - in - a - vase, and I want to grow something else as staring at fruits of my labour(baby pods)(zero effort spent) induces immense amounts of seratonin. Currently, I am considering amphipods or brine shrimp, brines in particular as they are already part of my fishes' diet. However, I can find very little precedent on growing brine shrimp and breeding them at home past hatching the first generation. Does anyone have experience breeding brine shrimp and raising successive generations? It would make a most excellent addition to my food collection.

And on amphipods, I did find a post on how cultures are done, and I do intend to set up a small tank for that purpose. If anyone else have experience breeding amphipods I would like to know too, since they are silly creatures and I love them.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t recommend brine shrimp for a sustainable harvest. Too much work to raise larvae to breeding adults.

copepods are so much more easy and nutritious. Just set up a fishless seaweed tank. Algae refugiums work well also.

Amphipods & copepods boldly on front glass with lights on.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t recommend brine shrimp for a sustainable harvest. Too much work to raise larvae to breeding adults.

copepods are so much more easy and nutritious. Just set up a fishless seaweed tank. Algae refugiums work well also.

Amphipods & copepods boldly on front glass with lights on.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
I simply don't have the space to take another tank, hence why I culture pods in a glass vase. No pods show up in my DT or sump for some reason despite dosing them and phyto.

marinebreeders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of amphipods and brine shrimp in a reef tank, mainly because they would eat the pods, I don't think they can coexist.

What pods are you currently growing? At the moment my Tisbee cultures are doing really well. They are growing very quickly.

I do have to point out that it might best to use another container, pods grow better if they have a larger surface area. I am using 2.5 gallon rectangular tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back