Brine shrimp culturing

will?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've just got some brine shrimp eggs and have a 18l tank prepared for them, but can't possibly fit another tank in my room for hatching. Firstly, can I hatch them in this tank, secondly, will they breed and finally will they lay eggs and hatch eggs in the same tank? I don't know if I'm up to giving up lots of time to separate them etc. I'm just trying to do the best for my fish, and don't want to keep buying eggs to hatch

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be better off with a brine shrimp hatching cone. Feed the young hatched ones to your fish. Adults do not have much nutritional value. If you do culture them they require some sort of Phyto to feed on or they will die.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hatch them anywhere. I use an inverted plastic coke bottle, from a diy video on youtube. Lots of diy hatcheries on youtube, no need to waste a good tank for them.

Hatching them is easy, it takes only 48 hours. I usually hatch enough for a few days.

Raising them to adulthood and breeding them is a whole sub-hobby in itself, you will need to do some research and work for that.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don’t want them to breed if you are using them as food. 18L is more than large enough unless you tank is 4K gallon plus. A jar of eggs should last you an insane amount of time.

OP
OP
W

will?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys, this really helps, I've sort of come at this blind. I was just wondering if growing them to adult stage and breeding them is easily possible, not because I want to feed my fish the adult shrimp, but I've recently had a coral banded shrimp hatch eggs and would like a replenishing source of baby brine shrimp to feed them. I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I saw a video of a man in an Asian region culturing them with one or two containers. He used a yeast and sugar combination to feed them too. I can't find the video, but it seemed to work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back