A framework for the selection of marine aquarium fishes to target for aquaculture

Aquarium Fisheries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the thousands of marine aquarium fish species to aquaculture and bring to market, which ones do we prioritize? Mystic Aquarium Scientists and Interns tackled this question through data analysis. Evaluating the most popular fish species imported into the U.S., they scoured the knowledgebase to learn about these species' market characteristics (in pink), aquaculture practicality (in blue), and conservation assessment (in yellow). Then, they plugged these data into a Principal Components Analysis to guide the industry to prioritize investment in species that are popular in the industry and do well in aquaria, are practical to aquaculture, and merit the effort due to their vulnerability to overfishing in the wild. In broad terms, those fish species mapped on the left side of the Score Plot shown here. So, which species are prime candidates for aquaculture R&D? Read our peer-reviewed paper published in the journal Aquaculture to find out! Full access is available to anyone before June 25, 2022.

Figure3.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back