A horrible tragedy and learning experience...

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I came into possession of a dream pair of spotted drum juveniles. A friend from the Keys caught them and rushed them to my door where I painstakingly prepped and introduced them into my quarantine system (well, one of my 2). Within hours both of these gorgeous little fish were munching on blood worms and wiggling their way deeper in my heart.

In my other Q tank, I had a plethora of Caribbean beauties including a Black cap Basslet, Royal Gramma, Swissguard Basslet and many more going through a cleaning before the found home in my 125 Atlantic reef.

The process was proceeding flawlessly...water was good, medications administered on time and accurately...fish kept eating and thriving during the period...then it came time to start water changes after the treatments...

I have a sizeable ro/di and storage system as we also have 1000 gallons of saltwater ponds...definitely helps with water change costs.
My system is outside by our pool within a screened enclosure.

Well, I went about changes on my Q tanks and ponds in the evening before bed. Matched PH, Salinity and temp before changing. Got everything set and headed to bed.

The next morning as I woke to get ready for work, I discovered a nightmare. Half my fish in the Caribbean Q tank were dead...Even worse, one of my 2 beloved Spotted Drum had died in its Q tank and the other one was not looking good. I checked my ponds and many of my fish were stressed and struggling.

What the heck could be wrong!?

I quickly pulled put my API and digital test kits and went into emergency mode. As the tests matured I took the living fish out of the Q tanks and put them into the sump/refugium of one of my other systems. Something was very wrong with my water.

All of my tests came back level. All, that is, except Ammonia. The levels were through the roof. I immediately went to my ro/di system and noticed on my large water tank, the screw on lid was on the ground...Then I remembered the Helicopter the day before. Mosquito Control had been spraying.

I called our local Mosquito Control office and asked them if their pesticides contained Ammonia...Ammonia Bicarbonate was the response.

I was devastated.

I was forced to take apart and scrub my containers and cross my fingers that my remaining drum and Caribbean friends would pull through in my refugium.

It was touch and go for a bit but the remaining fish including the drum pulled through.

Such a horrible lesson to learn...and costly as I have looked for spotted drum for the last 10 years with only a few places that have even heard of them.

I will certainly make sure my water storage is buttoned up tight and to test ALL aspects of my water, not assuming that because it is supposed to be clean that it is clean.

Cheers!

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200914_203149.jpg

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow,how did your outdoor pond fare? sealed enough ?

I was able to go down towards Marineland Florida at the University research center and get a large quantity of filtered sea water to do an emergency change. My lookdowns and Spades were okay but I lost a sea robin and my Mangrove snappers were very close to death.

Things have leveled out and hopefully back to normal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry to hear and ammonia is a known killer amongst fish both fresh and salt water. Atmospheric elements, temperature increases from day sun (reducing oxygen) or acid rain ?

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is so sad.
Where do you live where pesticides are sprayed by helicopter in residential areas without public notification?

Palm Coast Florida. I know the spraying is periodic so normally my gear is secured...im not sure if I messed up or my kids knocked it off or what...but man...losing that drum...dagger to the heart.

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear and ammonia is a known killer amongst fish both fresh and salt water. Atmospheric elements, temperature increases from day sun (reducing oxygen) or acid rain ?

The culprit was our local Mosquito control and aerial spraying... and it seems my own carelessness with an open water tank. They use a spray that contains ammonia Bicarbonate...man i wish i could back up and do an ammonia test before my water changes...losing that drum was murder

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does not even sound legal,like epa violations o_O

The spray basically is a nuisance...unless you have a water system for marine aquariums sitting around open

It does help thin the Mosquitos for a bit...and anyone from Florida can tell you...our skeeter are like miniature attack helicopters

Jowieg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spray basically is a nuisance...unless you have a water system for marine aquariums sitting around open

It does help thin the Mosquitos for a bit...and anyone from Florida can tell you...our skeeter are like miniature attack helicopters
I grew up in Florida and remember running through the fog of pesticide as a kid when they sprayed our neighborhood. We would run behind the truck for funs. Not smart at all.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting story thank you for sharing. I've never heard of a Mosquito Helicopter before. How come it wasnt on your radar if you have outdoor ponds and mosquito control helicopters? I'd be paranoid if I had ponds and mosquito copters. I didn't even know mosquito copters existed!

To the mosquito copter!

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting story thank you for sharing. I've never heard of a Mosquito Helicopter before. How come it wasnt on your radar if you have outdoor ponds and mosquito control helicopters? I'd be paranoid if I had ponds and mosquito copters. I didn't even know mosquito copters existed!

To the mosquito copter!

sounds like he mitigated it previously and made a very painful mistake.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back