A lighting idea early 90s

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day before many were born on here around the early 90s when we used HQI lamps, metal halides to most, I came up with an idea using just one or perhaps 2 lamps. My wacky (you decide) idea was to use a curved track with a motor on one end the light or light would be pulled over the curved track mimicking sunrise when it reached the end as in sunset a switch would trigger the motor to wind it back and the process would start all over again all attached to a timer.
Here is a drawing of my idea back in the day as it was never built but a number of people considered building something similar if they did I am not aware of any that did and if they did they weren't telling.
20200222_141330.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was an awesome idea, ahead of your time for sure. ... Back when I had raceway tanks for acros. I had 2 400w halides one track that ran back and forth. It took about 3 hours to complete a cycle of about 2 feet. It was great. It helped with even lighting and no shadowing with having to use 4 fixtures. I believe it was called lightmover or something like that. It's been a while so I forget exactly.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc Levenson has 3 sections of lights over his tank on staggered schedules that emulate the sun moving over the tank. Might be easier to set up than a track with moving parts etc...

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was an awesome idea, ahead of your time for sure. ... Back when I had raceway tanks for acros. I had 2 400w halides one track that ran back and forth. It took about 3 hours to complete a cycle of about 2 feet. It was great. It helped with even lighting and no shadowing with having to use 4 fixtures. I believe it was called lightmover or something like that. It's been a while so I forget exactly.
Great, I wasnt away of something similar, well not here in the UK. I guess something like the could be incorporated into a curved canopy to hide it all.
I do have another idea I have not floated a fixture housing LEDs or even T5s perhaps not so wacky lol.
Some manufacture might steal it though lol.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc Levenson has 3 sections of lights over his tank on staggered schedules that emulate the sun moving over the tank. Might be easier to set up than a track with moving parts etc...
Fine, but my idea is to utilise 1 light, like the sun is one or if a very large tank perhaps 2.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With current leds, you can offset their sunrise sunset and that will offset the changes it makes by that set time. And will create an illusion of a moving sunshine. Also moving cloud cover can also be programmed in.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine, but my idea is to utilise 1 light, like the sun is one or if a very large tank perhaps 2.
I think the effect on intensity would be to broad of a change doing it with just one light. Depending on the tank.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With current leds, you can offset their sunrise sunset and that will offset the changes it makes by that set time. And will create an illusion of a moving sunshine. Also moving cloud cover can also be programmed in.
Yeah but that's not my idea and not an idea as to replicate the moving sun but something entirely different to the above. I might start a seperate thread for that one.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use something like this in some hydroponic facilities for certain plants.
I got distracted when after i watched this. The manager then took out an electric toothbrush and started buzz pollinating the tomatoes. So during the tour i had taken i didnt ask many questions on the moving light fixture.
the lamps they were using were leds though. Think this had more to do with heat than anything else, as was a greenhouse.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this:

It has apparently been under development for quite some time now...

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use something like this in some hydroponic facilities for certain plants.
I got distracted when after i watched this. The manager then took out an electric toothbrush and started buzz pollinating the tomatoes. So during the tour i had taken i didnt ask many questions on the moving light fixture.
the lamps they were using were leds though. Think this had more to do with heat than anything else, as was a greenhouse.
Yes I guess you would use LEDs today back in the day it was metal halides and LEDs were many years away. We experimented with mercury vapour lamps T12s T8s and metal halides of various wattages. 150w 250w and 400w. Also with different reflectors, fixtures and fittings. We utilised industrial lighting and there was no interweb remember back then, well many won't remember as they weren't even born then. Back in the late 80s and 90s it was an exciting time for experiment and DIY for me and a few friends with losts to be discovered. Happy days.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this:

It has apparently been under development for quite some time now...
The issue I would have with that is its static and wouldn't track as the sun does just move the head from the same point.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a different idea than yours, back during the same timeframe, I used a system that was put out by Radio Shack. The system used the existing wiring, in your home, to control devices. I ran it through my computer with specified outlet adapters. It gave me full computerized control over the tanks I had set up, including a rising a d setting sun using intensity ramping to various lights. I believe I bought the system in about '93 and made some mods to it. It was, in my humble opinion, way ahead of its time.

I do like your "moving" design as it would help eliminate shadowing in the tank. Very cool!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when the sun rises on the reef much of the light early morning is bounced off the waters surface with little of the light actually penetrating. The corals just below the surface will get more of the available light. Motor nature has the answer to all questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a different idea than yours, back during the same timeframe, I used a system that was put out by Radio Shack. The system used the existing wiring, in your home, to control devices. I ran it through my computer with specified outlet adapters. It gave me full computerized control over the tanks I had set up, including a rising a d setting sun using intensity ramping to various lights. I believe I bought the system in about '93 and made some mods to it. It was, in my humble opinion, way ahead of its time.

I do like your "moving" design as it would help eliminate shadowing in the tank. Very cool!
Great love it. Great minds etc. As I said late 80s early 90s was a great time for experimentation and not just with lighting of course.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I guess you would use LEDs today back in the day it was metal halides and LEDs were many years away. We experimented with mercury vapour lamps T12s T8s and metal halides of various wattages. 150w 250w and 400w. Also with different reflectors, fixtures and fittings. We utilised industrial lighting and there was no interweb remember back then, well many won't remember as they weren't even born then. Back in the late 80s and 90s it was an exciting time for experiment and DIY for me and a few friends with losts to be discovered. Happy days.

I also did some experimentation with HPS lamps. Additionally, I built my own stands, canopies, sump, 6 foot protein skimmer and many other things. I recall when the VHO ballasts and bulbs came out and were the rage of the day. Like you said, it was a great time for DIY and experimenting. Thanks for bringing those memories back to mind!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did some experimentation with HPS lamps. Additionally, I built my own stands, canopies, sump, 6 foot protein skimmer and many other things. I recall when the VHO ballasts and bulbs came out and were the rage of the day. Like you said, it was a great time for DIY and experimenting. Thanks for bringing those memories back to mind!
Another oldie but godly. Am 70 now most my friends of the day I don't hear from anymore most probably got put the hobby long ago. I do have a couple from back then that are still as enthusiastic as I am.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back