A little help please - disease outbreak!!

OP
OP
JMR5

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one observation: if you saw white stringy worms that were dead (and not poo) then they were likely expelled during the prazi treatment. If they were alive, they weren’t parasites, just normal critters that live in tanks. I’m still reading all the messages and trying to see what else I can find....
Jay
I can safely say they weren't alive. Beyond that....I don't know how to tell the difference between poo and parasites? The only indicator would be that the Ringtail ALWAYS pooped, a lot. (he also ate the most, too) So when we moved him, I didn't realize he didn't poop in the bucket at all, until I saw the other two, who did. When removed from active flow, the stringy things collapsed into a blob in the bottom of the cup, but didn't disintegrate in any way, like I'd expect poop to.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can safely say they weren't alive. Beyond that....I don't know how to tell the difference between poo and parasites? The only indicator would be that the Ringtail ALWAYS pooped, a lot. (he also ate the most, too) So when we moved him, I didn't realize he didn't poop in the bucket at all, until I saw the other two, who did. When removed from active flow, the stringy things collapsed into a blob in the bottom of the cup, but didn't disintegrate in any way, like I'd expect poop to.
So - it is really a question of semantics, the dead worms are expelled as poop, so without a n microscope, we’ll not know. The reason for the question is dead worms are good, but white mucus feces can be a sign of an active internal protozoan infection.
Jay

OP
OP
JMR5

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - it is really a question of semantics, the dead worms are expelled as poop, so without a n microscope, we’ll not know. The reason for the question is dead worms are good, but white mucus feces can be a sign of an active internal protozoan infection.
Jay
Ah, gotcha. Unfortunately, that fish didn't survive (pic in an earlier reply). Of the two fish in the bucket with regular poop, the clown also died. The sailfin is still in QT, and I've not seen any white poop/worms in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, gotcha. Unfortunately, that fish didn't survive (pic in an earlier reply). Of the two fish in the bucket with regular poop, the clown also died. The sailfin is still in QT, and I've not seen any white poop/worms in the tank.
Sorry to hear!
Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 59 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back