Blue tang scratching against rocks even after 2 weeks copper

AT427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping you’ll can help me diagnose what my blue tang has. These are new fish I added a month ago. I know I should have QT them first. But either way I had pulled all my first 2 weeks ago from my DT after my sailfin was showing signs of ich/velvet. I immediate got them into QT and dosed copper power to the recommended 2.5ppm and kept it there. The sailfin died the next morning(attached photos in case that helps). Fast forward a few days and all fish looked ok except they were still breather a bit heavy. Then after 10 days the blue tang started scratching again. I did a fresh water dip yesterday to check for flukes. I now see part of his tail fin is turned red and some white stuff on its head. What does it have and why isn’t copper working?
IMG_2814.jpeg
IMG_2727.jpeg IMG_2738.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m hoping you’ll can help me diagnose what my blue tang has. These are new fish I added a month ago. I know I should have QT them first. But either way I had pulled all my first 2 weeks ago from my DT after my sailfin was showing signs of ich/velvet. I immediate got them into QT and dosed copper power to the recommended 2.5ppm and kept it there. The sailfin died the next morning(attached photos in case that helps). Fast forward a few days and all fish looked ok except they were still breather a bit heavy. Then after 10 days the blue tang started scratching again. I did a fresh water dip yesterday to check for flukes. I now see part of his tail fin is turned red and some white stuff on its head. What does it have and why isn’t copper working?
IMG_2814.jpeg
IMG_2727.jpeg IMG_2738.jpeg
These are mucus cones which likely started with skin irritation and should be treated like ich which may be mixed in with ich
Isolate fish in a separate treatment tank with coppersafe at treatment level 2.25 monitored with Hanna copper test kit and maintaining good water quality and you may notice other fish not showing signs but do not assume they are free of this

OP
OP
A

AT427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are mucus cones which likely started with skin irritation and should be treated like ich which may be mixed in with ich
Isolate fish in a separate treatment tank with coppersafe at treatment level 2.25 monitored with Hanna copper test kit and maintaining good water quality and you may notice other fish not showing signs but do not assume they are free of this
Thank you. I have had them in copper power for 2 weeks. I dosed to 2.5ppm according to the directions. I only have the api copper test so it’s reading between 2-4ppm. I am ordering to hanna tester to confirm. No other fish show any white spots or scratching. But some are breathing a bit heavier than normal.

Back