A Little Soap Residue

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was measuring nitrites and ammonia in my tank and when i was measuring nitrites and i dipped my fingers in with the vile i remembered i didn’t fully rinse them will that harm my tank?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was measuring nitrites and ammonia in my tank and when i was measuring nitrites and i dipped my fingers in with the vile i remembered i didn’t fully rinse them will that harm my tank?
You should be ok. Whenever I wash my hands I try to make a habit of rinsing several times after washing with soap.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okie :)) i got really worried because i didn’t wanna completely ruin my fishless cycle
I didn't realize your tank was still cycling - should be perfectly fine. I find a small 5-10mm syringe works best for taking water samples for use in testing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize your tank was still cycling - should be perfectly fine. I find a small 5-10mm syringe works best for taking water samples for use in testing.
okie thank you!! i’ll make sure to get a syringe :) i think my tank is almost done cycling cause my ammonia and nitrites are at a 0ppm

Upvote 0

Champagnebrian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okie thank you!! i’ll make sure to get a syringe :) i think my tank is almost done cycling cause my ammonia and nitrites are at a 0ppm
Def do... The more you can keep your hands out of the tank, the better. Even without soap. The oils from your hands etc, if it being a small tank can disturb corals. It wont hurt the tank at all, ive just always notice the less I touch it, the better.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def do... The more you can keep your hands out of the tank, the better. Even without soap. The oils from your hands etc, if it being a small tank can disturb corals. It wont hurt the tank at all, ive just always notice the less I touch it, the better.
About not putting you hands in your tank, I dont think thats true but it does get passed around allot, the oils from you hands don't mix with water how could it effect your corals, they stay seperate from the water like every other oil and eventually get filtered or skimmed out.

I could be wrong and have absolutely no scientific evidence of anything!

Upvote 0

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a good time to adopt the practice of using gloves just to protect the tank AND yourself. I was buying large shoulder length gloves from Amazon that were rubber and ran around 7 to 8 bucks. They didn't last after several uses pulling them on and off (sprung a leak in the seem) so I found the "disposable" shoulder length gloves they use for animal birthing and rear end inspections. 100 count per box for 16 bucks on Amazon as well.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a good time to adopt the practice of using gloves just to protect the tank AND yourself. I was buying large shoulder length gloves from Amazon that were rubber and ran around 7 to 8 bucks. They didn't last after several uses pulling them on and off (sprung a leak in the seem) so I found the "disposable" shoulder length gloves they use for animal birthing and rear end inspections. 100 count per box for 16 bucks on Amazon as well.
I tried gloves they just seem to get in my way, its already hard enough to maneuver through the coral and rock bare handed, I just never had luck with gloves, I use tongs and grabbers when I can, and just dawn dish soap and water when the hands are going in..

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back