A new "rifter" here, just starting out with some Zoas.

Emptyness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

First of all, I want to introduce myself - I am Vanyo, from Bulgaria, but living in Germany at the moment, happily married.

So, 2 weeks ago I've decided to pick this hobby. I've got a small budget, that I have invested in it and now I have 3 corals there (30L aquarium (about 6,5 gallons)). The 3 corals are a Discosoma mushroom, a Leather coral that I believe is Nephthea and a frag of Zoas (picture below).

Zoa.jpg

My question is, since I don't have any testing equipment and I am not exactly sure, where to place them in terms of light/flow: is it normal that the Zoas (there are 18 polyps in there) are open, but sometimes they close all of a sudden and stay close for 5-10mins, sometimes even more? Aren't they supposed to stay open all the time? I am not feeding them with anything.

I have 2x 6W LEDs (Marine (white) and Actinic (blue)), but I am using only the blue one currently, because I think it is too much for them when I turn both of them on (or at least for the leather coral). I also have a flow pump that is for 40 to 100L aquariums (mine is only 30), but I have tried to reduce the flow by putting the pump closer to the surface and pointing the surface, so it creates waves in one of the corners, but the flow in the whole tank is not that strong (at least that's what I think). That's my whole setup:

Current placement.jpg

I've got all (including the water) from my LFS apart from the tank, the light and the Zoa frag. Those I've got on different sites online. The pics are from today. I've got the Zoa 4 days ago and the other 2 corals - 3 days ago. My budget for this hobby is depleted at the moment.

Thank you all for your time and your answers!

Lastly, I just want to thank you, for having such a cool place like this forum, where people can ask question and get answers and not just post pics and like/hate other pics.

Have fun rifting! It's an amazing feeling!
Vanyo

fearless_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is completely normal for polyps to open and close especially if there is high nutrients or if they were just added. Also zoas are not really to picky with light and flow so in my opinion moderate flow and light will be just fine for them.

OP
OP
Emptyness

Emptyness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is completely normal for polyps to open and close especially if there is high nutrients or if they were just added. Also zoas are not really to picky with light and flow so in my opinion moderate flow and light will be just fine for them.

Ok. Thanks! Good to know it's normal behaviour.

Back