a "normal" BTA

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtf74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jtf74

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2020
Messages
752
Reaction score
539
Location
Florissant
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having BTA's I read this forum regularly. I have seen many folks giving advice to others worried about a nem deflating or shriveling up regularly because their nems also regularly deflate or shrivel almost daily and sometimes even when the light is on. I've never observed any of my nine doing this in the 3 years I've had them and have to wonder is it really a normal healthy behavior? Even when the lights are off they stay open. Pic at bottom is an hour after lights have gone off taken with a flash and other is obviously during the day. They do show very slight deflation as compared to daytime but not much. I don't feed mine at all if that could be the reason.

IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0785[1].JPG


IMG_0785[1].JPG
 
Mine never really closed up after lights went out either. What lighting type are you using?
 
I haven't had nems for very long but both of mine deflate at 7pm on the dot daily to expel waste. I feed them about twice a week. When the lights go down, they deflate their bubble tips but stay open.

Those are some fantastic nems btw!
 
I don't believe it's abnormal, if nothing is wrong then nothing is wrong, although it is more normal to see periodic deflation as opposed to never seeing it. It could be that you just don't see it happening, after all we aren't looking at our systems all the time.
 
I don't believe it's abnormal, if nothing is wrong then nothing is wrong, although it is more normal to see periodic deflation as opposed to never seeing it. It could be that you just don't see it happening, after all we aren't looking at our systems all the time.
Ok sure. I've been home from Covid stay home orders for two months so I didn't see
I haven't had nems for very long but both of mine deflate at 7pm on the dot daily to expel waste. I feed them about twice a week. When the lights go down, they deflate their bubble tips but stay open.

Those are some fantastic nems btw!
Mine never really closed up after lights went out either. What lighting type are you using?
LED now but have used metal halide and t5 in the past with same resutls
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new