A Novice Marine X 110.4 Build

RWReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is probably the best place to start and keep myself accountable. As of 3 weeks ago I had absolutely no knowledge of saltwater tanks, but after some spousal negotiation and some encouragement from my young children I am embarking on my journey in the saltwater tank hobby.

I think I want to grow all the corals, and my plan is to keep a moderately small amount of fish (8?). Either way, the tank has been delivered and nearly set up.

IMG_4923.jpeg

72143590912__34ADCE82-37C9-470E-A4E7-6C644E3A6DAA.jpeg

Known equipment list so far sits as follows (Updating as more items are decided and purchased):

DT/Sump: Marine X 110.4 tank package
ATO: Tunze 3155
Return Pump: VarioS-4
Skimmer: RO Regal 150 INT
Power heads: MP40QD
RO/DI: BRS 5 Stage PP 75 GPD
Rock: 80lb Marco Rock
Sand: 40lb Caribsea Special Grade
Lighting: (2) Ecotech Radion XR30 G6 Pro w/ RMS
Controller: Neptune A3 Apex Pro

This will be a fun endeavor to teach both myself and my children the lesson of patience. They’re ready to go to the fish store tomorrow.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start! Congratulations on the new adventure!!!

OP
OP
RWReefer

RWReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress made today. Son and I visited 3 LFS so I could both scout their stock/husbandry/prices and so he could get an idea of the types of fish out there and pick out the one he wanted. Of course it came down to a massive Angelfish and an eel, so will need to work on tempering his expectations.

Got the tank plumbed and the stand finished.

IMG_4934.jpeg

Have some glass cleanup to do to rid the fingerprints and well water. Kids were hounding me yesterday to get fish, so I let them know that they need to fill the tank before we can do any of that. Taking initiative, they dumped about 3 gallons of tap water into the tank, one cup at a time lol. Very happy they’re excited about helping, but need to work on my communication skills better, and teach them how to make the proper water for the tank.

As an appropriate segue, BRS RO/DI has been ordered to get a start on just such a thing.

Slowly coming together….

OP
OP
RWReefer

RWReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light day on the tank front. Received my skimmer and return pump from @Dr. Jim (thank you).

Meandered my way into a thread with a new tank strategy of setting up a tank using a different order of operations than I have typically seen around here so far. Cycle, establish coral/invertebrate population first, then fallow, then introduce quarantined fish. Has me pondering taking that approach setting up as a first timer.

More research inbound.

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light day on the tank front. Received my skimmer and return pump from @Dr. Jim (thank you).

Meandered my way into a thread with a new tank strategy of setting up a tank using a different order of operations than I have typically seen around here so far. Establish coral/invertebrate population first, then fallow, then introduce quarantined fish. Has me pondering taking that approach setting up as a first timer.

More research inbound.
I've been doing this for over 50 years and the idea of inverts/corals first would worry me. I'd need to see more details on that though.
Good luck

OP
OP
RWReefer

RWReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventful past few days in new/used equipment procurement. Additions as follows:

-80lbs Marco Rock
-Egg crate to separate marco rock from bottom glass
-40lbs Caribsea Special Grade Dry sand
-Aquaforest Reef Salt
-Tropic Marin Hydrometer
-Various other testing kits
-(2) Ecotech Radion XR30 G6 Pros
-1 RMS mount for light, still need to find a second
-Apex A3 Pro controller

Going to work on getting the RO/DI system set up in the basement this weekend and have the kids help me with setting up the aquascape. Going to enjoy being able to start getting everything all set up. Should be able to start the cycle sometime in December.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventful past few days in new/used equipment procurement. Additions as follows:

-80lbs Marco Rock
-Egg crate to separate marco rock from bottom glass
-40lbs Caribsea Special Grade Dry sand
-Aquaforest Reef Salt
-Tropic Marin Hydrometer
-Various other testing kits
-(2) Ecotech Radion XR30 G6 Pros
-1 RMS mount for light, still need to find a second
-Apex A3 Pro controller

Going to work on getting the RO/DI system set up in the basement this weekend and have the kids help me with setting up the aquascape. Going to enjoy being able to start getting everything all set up. Should be able to start the cycle sometime in December.
Lots of good equipment!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back