The First Attempt - Marine X 110.4

eKirts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

This is my first attempt at reefing - so, tips and tricks are very welcome - If anyone is in the Ottawa area, feel free to reach out.

This will probably take me all summer til I am prepared to get some water in the tank, so please be patient (more for me than y'all, lol!) My intial goal is to be cycling by december-ish, maybe sooner?.

...Well, time to get the build thread rolling!
I am slowly accruing parts... Sometimes I can be rather taken back by the price of things... hahaha; suppose the limiter is good as I can take the time to learn and understand what each part is doing, gives an opportunity to get the best solution :p ( I have to tell my self this frequently haha)

Overall goal of this endevour is mixed reef mainly, with (eventually) SPS dominance once I've honed my abilities a bit - Id also like to have the entire system fairly automated in the future,

Equipment List (will update as I progress):

Tank
- Waterbox Marine X 110.4
Cabinet - Waterbox
Sump - Waterbox (Modified)
Lights - XR30 G5 Blues ( x2 )
Sand - ?
Rock - Caribsea Life Rock
Protein Skimmer - ?
Heaters - ?
Powerheads - Ecotech Vortex MP40wQD ( x2 )
Auto Top Off - ?
Return Pump - ?
Battery Back up - Ecotech

I was able to find a used Waterbox Marine X 110.4 from a guy in Toronto...

20240324_212642.jpg
...after getting it into its spot after the day trip.

Couple minor issues - The black coating on the back, It may be difficult to see but it is under the top left side of the tank just under where the light is - it looks like heat/sun damage? I figured for a first tank and the savings; it was worth it... I was just thinking of letting the coraline cover the back to hide it or have the aquascape cover it a bit but it may be a bit high for that. - is it even worth refinishing? you can see it better in the images below with the lights over top of it. Only other issue that I noticed was it was missing a bit of its plumbing and bulkhead gaskets, I've already ordered replacement for these.

Sump looks to be in good shape... will probably make a post about it eventually as I want to modify it so that I can use a filter roller - Also not a fan of the area that overflow and drain goes into... seems like it will become a pain to clean down the line, so id like to just make it one open area - maybe add an acrylic baffle - is a baffle is necessary post filtration or to contain the skimmer better?

Everything else seemed to be in great condition all things considered - I didnt want to leak test until I am able to have the bulkheads installed in the event a seal around the overflow isnt totally water tight...

Was able to get two Radion XR30 G5 Blues with this deal as well... Playing around with the mobius app has been fun, particularly with the shared settings... plugged in the WWC 100gal schedule just to try it out, the control is very impressive! ...It convinced me to use the mobius environment until moving into an Neptune Apex setup as it seems fairly robust.

20240327_171734.jpg 20240326_192307.jpg
Lights on :p

I just put the lights on top half hazardly as I wanted to see how it looked, haha. Debating on the arm mount or doing the RMS system from the ceiling; not sure what would be best other than aesthetics.

I also aquired two mp40s with a battery back-up, used as well, for a decent deal... pretty much the price of a new mp40 - one mp40 is fairly new with the mobius chip, the other is doesnt - that being said the powerheads both work very well as far as I can tell anyhow - tons of power.

How often do they restock the mobius chips? only found one place in Canada that has them but they are double the price. Probably will get some new wetsides as backups/replacements down the line.

The battery backup on the otherhand I dont think is functioning properly. The power brick never goes to green, and the battery gets quite a bit above ambient after leaving it plugged in for 3 days - Even after the "charge" it was not able to power a powerhead, the lights would flash and would go into drive fault mode... I imagine i need to replace the battery... suggestions are welcome for this, I have yet to look into it as of yet, but the unit does seem quite old with some corrosion on the connections as well.

Not sure how much more ill be buying used, but it does save some money...

So thats it for the inital post... nothing too interesting yet I suppose, but it will be interesting down the line, for me at least... lol

Thanks for the reading!

Last edited:

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following along can’t wait to see it filled

OP
OP
eKirts

eKirts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eKirts heads up - a Klir DI-4 fits just fine, no modding of the sump needed
IMG_3968a.jpg

My my! That is very impressive, super clean.... definitely inspiring! I was looking at the Klir vs Red sea 500... this is some food for thought... I really like how compact it is.

I saw a youtube vid a couple months agos... they was saying that software issues were troublesome with the Klir, not sure if this is a rarity or not... but, the video was also a year old so I imagine things have changed.

Have you had it up and running yet?

Last edited:

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah since January. Most of the complaints I’ve read were the v1 controller. Mine shipped with v2 (it says v2 on the little white controller box). I love it. Waaaaay better than filter socks.

OP
OP
eKirts

eKirts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, good to know they changed it. Certainly will think about it as an option now.

I can imagine... I've used filter rollers at work (horticultural systems) for a while and it just seems ideal to have the material removed out of the system immediately; I was dreading the thought of having to change them every three days as well, my laziness exposed perhaps... lol

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair people really rave about the Red Sea rollers so even with the price bump they may be worth it, but the retrofitting hassle didn’t interest me - flex hose side entry and all. Physically you could fit 2 Klir’s in the sock plate w/o any modding. Blanking the spare hole was a pisser because the Klir block off plate was too small. Had to fab it with some PVC board. ALSO-and this took me a bit to figure out… the fit is nearly watertight on the sock plate, so much so that bubbles that escaped from splashing down into the fleece slot actually displaced water over time. The water level in the sock compartment was LOWER than the main chamber. After a while it would burp itself and the water levels would equalize which F’d with my water level sensor for ATO. If your skimmer is water height sensitive or ATO throws fits you’ll wanna drill a vent in the plate so the air can escape. I did it with a spare RO bulkhead and a small piece of tube. Literally looking at the sump from in front the water level in the sock and main sections would get to about an inch difference. Maybe the Red Sea wouldn’t do that?

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is when you start cycling keep your phosphates under control from day one. I wish I would have and I would have avoided algae problem that I have fought for the past 2 months. Gha had taken over everything cause I let my phosphate get to .10

OP
OP
eKirts

eKirts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair people really rave about the Red Sea rollers so even with the price bump they may be worth it, but the retrofitting hassle didn’t interest me - flex hose side entry and all. Physically you could fit 2 Klir’s in the sock plate w/o any modding. Blanking the spare hole was a pisser because the Klir block off plate was too small. Had to fab it with some PVC board. ALSO-and this took me a bit to figure out… the fit is nearly watertight on the sock plate, so much so that bubbles that escaped from splashing down into the fleece slot actually displaced water over time. The water level in the sock compartment was LOWER than the main chamber. After a while it would burp itself and the water levels would equalize which F’d with my water level sensor for ATO. If your skimmer is water height sensitive or ATO throws fits you’ll wanna drill a vent in the plate so the air can escape. I did it with a spare RO bulkhead and a small piece of tube. Literally looking at the sump from in front the water level in the sock and main sections would get to about an inch difference. Maybe the Red Sea wouldn’t do that?

Thats my debate... I like the larger filter size as well, more collection, more flow... something to think about at least...
hrm, definitely good to know! That would not have been something I would have thought of, haha. Probably would have ended up in the same situation... I appreciate you learning for us! haha

My suggestion is when you start cycling keep your phosphates under control from day one. I wish I would have and I would have avoided algae problem that I have fought for the past 2 months. Gha had taken over everything cause I let my phosphate get to .10

Appreciate the tip!! ill definitely try to keep that in check from the start then

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back