A question about christmas tree worm

firepig36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that christmas tree worms live with sps coral called "porites".My question is that,if the base coral is dead,can I attach other encrusting coral like monti or some kinds of lps?wont they kill worms by covering?and once worms are dead,isnt there any way to restore their population?How do they reproduce?

I really aprreciate your thoughtful and kind answer

OP
OP
F

firepig36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that christmas tree worms live with sps coral called "porites".My question is that,if the base coral is dead,can I attach other encrusting coral like monti or some kinds of lps?wont they kill worms by covering?and once worms are dead,isnt there any way to restore their population?How do they reproduce?

I wrote there's one question i wonder but actually there are more than two but to my regret i dont know how to change the title so please forgive me

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote there's one question i wonder but actually there are more than two but to my regret i dont know how to change the title so please forgive me
That happens.

To my knowledge, they should be fine even if the coral is dead (though that obviously isn't preferred) - but I'm not sure if they would move from the dead Porites to a live Monti/other coral (my understanding is they tend to pick somewhere to settle and stay there, and they do generally seem to have a strong preference for Porites - though they will settle on other corals occasionally too).

The worms shouldn't be killed by a coral being placed over/growing over them - they should just bore up through the coral.

Once the worms are dead, the way to restore their population is by buying more - they won't come back from the dead. They reproduce through broadcast spawning. To my knowledge, they go through a pelagic stage that lasts for about 2 weeks, and then they settle onto their chosen coral (so these almost certainly won't reproduce successfully in a normal reef tank).

Upvote 0

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the worms will be fine if you grow a new coral onto the rock, as for them dying, i dont think you can repopulate the rock once they die, which it seems they have a lifespan of 20 - 50 years so i wouldn't worry about it if you keep them well fed :)

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back