A Question of Specrum - How much red is too much?

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about what is the best spectrum for coral health, mostly acros, and how much red is too much. I do prefer a whiter look for the majority of the day with heavier bluesa in the morning and late evening.
I have a 270g tank and lighting consists of an 8 blub sunpower and 6 Kessil a360WE.
For bulbs I am running 2 ATI Blue plus, 2 KZ Super blue, 2 ATI Actinic and 2 Geissmann Tropics.
Kessils are at 40% color for daytime and bluer during morning and evening ramps.

After watching this video from BRS and their bulb recommendations, I'm wondering if using 2 of the geissmann tropics is providing too much red spectrum.
Their bulb recommendtions are around the 11 minute mark.

I am overall happy with the look of my tank, b, could still be a little less blue, but corals are growing well and look great.
I do imagine I could achieve a similar look with their bulb recommendation by adjusting the color of the Kessils.

Pic of tank for reference. Cell phone pic so not the greatest quality but is fairly accurate from a visual color standpoint.
20200529_123915.jpg

Would appreciate other's thoughts on this subject.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Beardo

Great looking tank. I do think it is a bit muted for lack of a better description, color wise. I have never run the tropics so not too familiar with the spectrum. Without knowing your Kessil settings it would be hard to say for sure it is the tropics causing the muted color.

I look at the hammers, zoas, and Paly’s in tanks first to see how they are colored. Everything looks great, maybe a little purple/bluish. i just switched from Ati purple t5 to geissmann Actinic. I noticed a nice shift in color fairly quick. BUT, I always say, if it is working, don’t mess with it. You can try the actinic or even adjust the kessil, but I am always hesitant on lighting changes. You never know if you hit just the right spectrum that promotes algae.

Either way, tanks great

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense. Nothing harmful about the Giesemann bulbs. I ran 3 and a purple+ on my 8 bulls combo for a while and everything thrived

OP
OP
Beardo

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply @Mastiffsrule and the compliments
The picture was a poor quality cell pic so wasn't completely accurate. I have bumped up my kessils to 50% on color (intensity is 80%) and I am closer to the look I want.
I just started questioning myself on how much red is too much in regards to coral health. I don't believe it's an issue with what I have, considering people used to run the 6,500k MH bulbs. But after watching the video, just wanted other opinions.
Thanks again

OP
OP
Beardo

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Bpb. It was some of your posts along with posts from @jda that convinced me to run 2 of them. I had previously run just 1 tropic with a kz coral light (10,000k) and an ati coral plus.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense. Nothing harmful about the Giesemann bulbs. I ran 3 and a purple+ on my 8 bulls combo for a while and everything thrived

Love Giesemann, besides spelling it. I had just put in 2 of theirs in place of 2 ATI purples. My reference was just in general switching lights can change spectrums and one can ever 100% predict the outcome.

Hope no one took that as nonsense or Giesemann is harmful, they are great bulb or I wouldn’t have just put them over my 180.

OP
OP
Beardo

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Giesemann, besides spelling it. I had just put in 2 of theirs in place of 2 ATI purples. My reference was just in general switching lights can change spectrums and one can ever 100% predict the outcome.

Hope no one took that as nonsense or Giesemann is harmful, they are great bulb or I wouldn’t have just put them over my 180.
I understood what you meant. Doesn't take much and I did have some algae increase (red turf and bryropsis) with adding the second tropic.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ah the nonsense word was more light hearted than anything. I love the color rendering the tropic does when paired with a couple blues. Looks real nice.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%

Back