A R2R Spotlight "Acanthastrea lordhowensis" (Aussie Style)

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 12" deep, i keep them in the very front so they are out the intense halides main light, basically just the tail end of their reach. the lights about 12" off the top of the tank. By direct, i mean they are not in the shade at all. Blastos for example IME like high indirect light. Meaning higher in the tank, but stuck to the side of a rock instead of the top.

I dont dose yet, I'm going to start dosing some FM stuff when Todd gets them in. I do however run a TON of carbon, and I feed them every other day with freezerbar cyclopeze & Mysis. I run a very low nutrient system (my skimmer is like taking dynamite to kill an ant) and that may or may not be a factor. But anyone who isn't running carbon start. Its made a night and day change for the good in my tank.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 12" deep, i keep them in the very front so they are out the intense halides main light, basically just the tail end of their reach. the lights about 12" off the top of the tank. By direct, i mean they are not in the shade at all. Blastos for example IME like high indirect light. Meaning higher in the tank, but stuck to the side of a rock instead of the top.

I dont dose yet, I'm going to start dosing some FM stuff when Todd gets them in. I do however run a TON of carbon, and I feed them every other day with freezerbar cyclopeze & Mysis. I run a very low nutrient system (my skimmer is like taking dynamite to kill an ant) and that may or may not be a factor. But anyone who isn't running carbon start. Its made a night and day change for the good in my tank.
yay!!! thanks... I'll experiment on weekly changing my carbon for the next 2-3 months.. hope it fares well.. :)

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
junior,
its awesome to hear of a LFS that gets that kind of quality in. I haven't seen that in any stores I've visited. what kind of prices are you seeing him advertise per polyp?

Thanks for sharing!

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow.. that is just awesome. I've seen a lot of the prices coming down. I'd love to persuade our LFS to pick them up. :)

can you find out what kind of mag pellets you're getting from bob?

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are killing me!!!! Where do you find the beautiful, drop dead gorgeous, gotta have acans??? Are any of you willing to share????

Thanks, Debbie

Trull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this spotlignt...it's amazing...
I became blind seeing your acan ...
Who would be succeptible to send me this animals to france? store or reefkeepers? Thank you in advance ...

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know at least a few vendors are poking around at the idea of shipping through customs, esp. since the economy over here isn't bringing in as much business as there used to be. Hopefully, someone will find the easy way and we can crack this tiny planet open for shipping:).

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will find the site, but theres a frag place in canada that ships to the us overnight. The prices are DIRT cheap, they did a group order on rc in my local forum ill try and find the site for everyone

Trull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
waouh .... thank you very much ... if one of you, want to send me some frag of acan, you can contact me by PM. lol...
Thank you for the link ...

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love acans now. From the recent threads and all, Im really liking the acanthestreas/micromussas. My tank being a 24 gallon, 19.75" deep (without the sand depth subtracted from that) the entire tank is pretty much under direct Mh exposure. The fixture is about 4-5 inches from the water surface so everything gets plenty. Everything in the tank is spreading out and embracing the light, so I hope my recent additions, the acans, do that as well.

Everyones pieces are so pretty too.

Antonias1391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uugh so nice any trick besides the stated?? iv been feeding mine about 3-4 times a week cyclops, brine shrim and formula 1 pellet ive seen decent growth. from a 3 head frag ive gotten 12 new baby polyps in about 3 months. found these guys in a LFS they where just frag bits but i saw potential there eating now as well
newcoralsandfish037.jpg

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a real nice 3 head frag and thought I would necro this thread and share. Pic is unedited from an iPhone so bare with the blue please.

image.jpeg

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got a much better pic with light touch up in photoshop and adjustment on my LED light to take out some of the blue.

image.jpeg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back