View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Black Fin Coral Fish
(Chelmon muelleri)

PICT0176.jpg

Common Names: Black Coral Fish, Mueller's Butterfly, Mueller's Coral Fish

The Black fin coral fish is found exclusively in esturaries and coastal reefs of Austrailia. They spend their day perusing around rocks and muddy bottoms looking for small inverts and worms to snack on. They have also been reported to eat aiptasia and clams.

Chelmon muelleri, being a cousin to the ever popular Chelmon rostratus (Copperband Butterfly) and the beautiful Chelmon marginalis (Margined Coralfish) is often overlooked and even called ugly. Like C. marginalis, they aren't collected very often and can be tricky to obtain at times. Most pictures of this fish floating around the web don't do this fish any justice at all. The contrast between pearly white and brown and orange are simply outstanding to look at. Upon close inspection yellow and even blue spots can be seen in stripes running towards the tail area.

PICT0131.jpg

In captivity these fish can be trained to eat most frozen foods but may need to be weaned over from live foods initially. Live black worms are usually a quick favorite and can be somewhat irresistable to them. Chopped scallop and clams on the half shell may also do the trick.

While most retailers label them as difficult or expert, I find them to be pretty hardy fish. Just like others of the Chelmon species they do require some effort and special care. They are very slow feeders and when mixed with most tank mates they can be out competed for food pretty quickly. When first introduced feeding can be tricky and getting them fattened up in a QT sytem is highly recommended. In time Mueller's can become very personable fish and learn to recognize their feeder, follow them from one side of the tank to the other and even eat from their hands.

Chelmon butterflies are easily bullied and should be added to a tank first if other large fish are desired. It is possible for them not to mix well with tangs of the zebrasoma variety due to similar shape and size. They generally do mix well with most community fish and are overall well behaved and friendly. Adding them to a reef should be done with caution but overall they are one of the safest butterflies available to reef keepers. Other than feather dusters and the occasional nip at stylo mine has been a perfect citizen.

PICT0050.jpg

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up Brett! Very good info on this specimen. Good stuff. : )

Last edited:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Beautiful fish!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job and great info!

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Craig and Tonya, he/she is my favorite.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back